tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter started texting me pictures yesterday from an old abandoned place called Gilman in Colorado. Guess she and her fiance had a day off and headed up to see the fall colors. She didn't say where she was, but I recognize the old town of Gilman, which was inhabitanted when I lived up in the area and the New Jersey Zinc mine was still holding on. I told her she should head over Tennessee pass and visit Leadville. She text back and said she already did and was now in Leadville. I text telling her to head up to the old mining district east of town, so her and her fiance did. The old Leadville mine district is really pretty in the fall and the ruins of the old mines make for some good photos. This is one she took I really like.

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_160235.jpg
    IMG_20231004_160235.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 23

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My daughter started texting me pictures yesterday from an old abandoned place called Gilman in Colorado. Guess she and her fiance had a day off and headed up to see the fall colors. She didn't say where she was, but I recognize the old town of Gilman, which was inhabitanted when I lived up in the area and the New Jersey Zinc mine was still holding on. I told her she should head over Tennessee pass and visit Leadville. She text back and said she already did and was now in Leadville. I text telling her to head up to the old mining district east of town, so her and her fiance did. The old Leadville mine district is really pretty in the fall and the ruins of the old mines make for some good photos. This is one she took I really like.
When I see pics like these I always wonder what life working in a place like that would have been like. Not much fun I'm sure.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see pics like these I always wonder what life working in a place like that would have been like. Not much fun I'm sure.
Well you do get the idea of what it was like walking through the Leadville cemetery. You'll see several later 19th century young fellas, most likely killed in mining accidents or a group of folks who all died in an avalanche or those who's lungs got rocked up with silica from the new technology of the pneumatic rockdrill that drilled dry, known also as the widow maker. The determination to strike it big in a mine in those days differently had its risks with no shortage of those willing to give it a try back during the boom days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread