Old Minelab ????

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cpowell

Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a minelab xt17000. How good are these compared to todays metal detectors?
Thanks

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a minelab xt17000. How good are these compared to todays metal detectors?
Thanks
I don't know just how they stack up side-by-side to newer units, but I'd like to have one. It has features that I would find handy, especially for relic hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rechargeable lead/acid battery? Can't be too recent! Sounds like a wall hanger to me.

cpowell

Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad bought the Minelab late 80's early 90's. It still works fine, just not sure how much of an improvement there is in a newer model. Are there any tests that show how far they have come?

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I would take it out and have some fun with it? Go prospecting, if you are near any gold? Coin hunting too! I disagree strongly, that it's a wall hanger! Minelab made a 16000, 17000, XT18000, American Gold Striker, Eureka Gold. (and probably many more too!) Anyone of them will find gold! Just go slow, overlap your strokes and then turn to your right and do it again! listen for the quiet whispers of a deep target and then dig! I own the XT18000, the American Gold Striker and the Eureka Gold and I love and use all three of them! If your 17000 has manual ground balance, you may want to find one with automatic ground balance, or cut your teeth on the manual ground balance? I think the auto gb is faster and more accurate, but nothing wrong with learning on the manual ground balance type. If you want more, send me a pm! My advice, is: "Just go out and use it"! Big Red

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread