Old newgate prison connecticut

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I know the prison is closed down and it's a historical site so metal detecting there is off limits, however there is a large state forest behind it, I mean I used my gps and hiked right up behind it within a hundred feet before I hit no trespassing signs. I found a lot of barb wire and iron slag a few old shotgun shells nothing out of this world, but I was wondering if anyone has hunted this area before? I'm hoping to find a higley copper seeing that the new gate prison was higleys mine (I think) haha I've done a little research, the areas loaded with old rock walls and seems like a great place to hunt.. Let me know what you think!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been hit by 100's over the last 40 yrs
I knw guys that were able to hit the prison too

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might still follow some of the rock walls the areas do large it could never be hunted out, I'll just keep a distance from the prison itself

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Hit it hard. I doubt that it was searched by hundreds. Maybe by a couple. Go deep.

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could believe hundreds it's a very famous historical place, there's just so much area that it will never be hunted out, I'm going back this weekend I found a bunch of oldddd rock walls probably a mile away that I'm going to check out.

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus there's that story about 2 million gold coins being stolen and buried in the area haha might have brought a lit of hopefuls to the area haha, I just like the area because of the possibility of higley coppers . Hopefully I get one within the next few seasons,

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck dan,I'd check out those rock walls for sure.:leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread