old newspapers and clipings

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would suggest searching for news paper in the area that you are researching. One you have a lead, you can go from there. Some of the older libraries may not have the news paper any more, but may have it on microfilm/fiche. Hope it helps.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find an article on-line, it may be just the tip of the iceberg. . . Most libraries in larger towns should have back-issues on film as Ron and TT mentioned and, if your lucky, some papers may have supplied your library with an index book that's arranged by subject key words. This works great because you can reference a lot of useful info rather quickly plus, find additional subjects you haven't thought of.

Good luck!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
As suggested....the libraries in your local area would have a collection of newspapers on microfilm/fische....most libraries charge .25 cents a copy...some .15...depends on the library you visit. My library is on the HONOR SYSTEM...I print out what I want and then pay as I leave. They have a little box for you to drop your money in.

For online...there are only two places that I know of and does cost money.

First one I use is Ancestry(dot)com....been using this site since 1999 and I LOVE IT! They are always adding new information, photos, documentation and newspapers. They recently added passports and I found my great grandmother and my half great aunt (as a little girl) for a passport back to England for a visit! It even included a photo!!! For me, it's well worth the price of $29-$35 a month....however, their newspaper collection is not as extensive as the other online source I use....Newspaperarchives(dot)com. I pay $16.50 a month for the subscription and they have a wide variety...

You have to remember though..if you want your local area, your best bet is to go to your local library (my local newspapers is not available in these two subscriptions I have)....also...like my local newspaper, I have an online subscription with them and I can search the archives. They don't have all years on (which dates back to 1865)...but they are slowly working on it.

Check your local newspaper for online subscriptions and for their archives and how far back they go. Some papers only go 6 months or less ... while others may go a couple of years. Many newspapers DO NOT have archives on their sites.

I have a book that I acquired when I use to work for our local newspaper...which lists all the newspapers in the states and other places. I don't know, as I haven't really looked...but don't know how far back the newspapers listed go (like, does it state newspapers no longer available!)...I'll have to go look now LOL...

If you need any assistance in searching for something, please don't hesitate to ask ... I'd be happy to assist and I DO NOT CHARGE!!! :) I do it, well, cause I like to do it....that's the genealogist in me...what can I say!

Good Luck to you,
Annmarie

PS: here's a taste of what newspapers are listed for Wisconsin on NewspaperArchives....with 30 responses per page and there are 31 pages...that is 930 newspapers for the State of Wisconsin (various years). And they may not have ALL the years that particular newspaper was in publication...but that takes time to get them ready for the internet...these are viewed in PDF format.

PS (again): I would like to add...I use SnagIt (Ver8). Been using this program for a couple of years and I believe there's another person on this site that said they use it too...anyways...when searching newspapers online...I use SNAGIT to capture the image. With SNAGIT...it gives me the capability to move text around and / or clear areas that I don't want to keep...it's a great program and well worth the money...I use it for many things, not just for searching newspapers online!!! You can just capture a region or scroll the whole webpage....that is how I post articles on this forum. :)

PS (yet again): As Treasure Tales stated...old newspapers are very brittle....if you are allowed (which is rare now)...but if you get ahold of OLD papers...wear white cotton gloves...the acid from your fingers will age/destroy the paper more.....we all give off acid from our fingertips...some more than others.....I had a young lad working for me (we were Illustrator Draftsman - Graphic Artists in the Navy)....working with Vellum was horrible with him..he left fingerprints everywhere!!!!!!!!! Needless to say...I made him wear WHITE COTTON GLOVES and problem was solved and he completed his assigned tasks without any indication he touched the VELLUM!! LOL

Attachments

• wisconsin papers 1a.jpg
    wisconsin papers 1a.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 125

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread