Old One Cent?

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband a couple years ago dug a ditch from the garage to the house to put electric in the garage - yea right. But a lightbulb went off. That ditch is 2 feet deep. Saved me alot of digging. Gonna be all over that ditch like white on rice. I dug a little and found an old pad lock and I think a large cent. Pretty crapped up tho. How do I clean it? OhioDeb

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Answered this at another site, but will post here too.

Look at the rusty object on the side, next to a modern penny. If the rusty thing is about twice this thickness of a modern-day cent,you may have found a large cent. They were a lot thicker then.

This really looks more like a conduit cut-out for a circuit breaker, though. Can't really tell because of the corrosion one way or the other.

The thickness is a good starting point, though.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
OhioDeb said:
there was a youtube video of a person finding looked like a small woman's compact. The money in it was thin and grey. OhioDeb
I think I saw the one you are talking about. Was it the video just posted? Wasn't it actually a cache of coins, rather than just one coin? And that "compact" was actually over an inch thick holding many coins.

Some silver coins will look grey after being in the ground for 100 years. Some won't.

Copper coins such as Large Cents should never look grey.

Thin coins are an indication of silver or some metal other than copper. Most copper coins were thick.

Did you know that some of the first U.S. coins were made from metal packing straps to hold crates together? Any metal in the New World was a valuable asset, and often worked several times for different purposes: buttons, wedges, coinage, etc.

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found it's twin. It's steel and the size of a large cent. I figure it dates around the Civil War/ losing large cents era--1850-60. I think it is a steel coin.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Lost2Much said:
I found it's twin. It's steel and the size of a large cent. I figure it dates around the Civil War/ losing large cents era--1850-60. I think it is a steel coin.
Sorry. Unlikely.

Only steel U.S. coins I know of were 1943 pennies: same diameter and thickness as in 1958.

Women's compacts are larger than a large cent.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like it's made of steel/iron rather than copper (looks rusty). Could be a knockout from an electrical box. If you have a pair of calipers handy then measure it and check the diameters of coins in a reference book at the library. The official red book is a good one. It gives diameters and weights of coins. Or just measure it and post your measurement here and somebody will look it up. Large cents are like 29mm. Half cents around 23mm.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
OhioDeb

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gave up on cleanning this item. My hopes were shot down. :dontknow: Maybe next hunt :laughing7:
OhioDeb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions