Old Park finds!

D

doyboy

I have been hitting a local, old park in the center of my city for a few months now. I am very suprised that it is not totally cleaned out. This park was started in 1913 as a memorial to an esteemed person in my town. It actually is a small park compared to others in my city. But, it has been very kind to me in the recent months (2006). Most of the coins here are deep (5-6 inches) and read "jumpy" due to the surrounding junk. But, I believe that my patience has helped me a lot. I dig almost every signal. Every time I hit this park I focus on a specific area and I hit it at different angles. This technique has been proven to work very well. I am still amazed at the amount of old coins that I have been finding in areas that I have hit before. This park has yielded: 1899 IH, 1905 IH, 1908 IH, 1891 V-Nickel, 1927 Buffalo Nickel(not pictured), 1944 Mercury dime, 1736-1795 A.D. Chinese coin, 5 Wheaties(not pictured), and an "old" Transportation token(pre-1940s). My other detecting partner has found an 1898 V-Nickel and 2 Wheaties at this park, too. Zoyboy only found a 1910 Wheatie, but that was the only day he went there. So, are those areas totally cleaned out? I guess not! ;D

Attachments

• Park finds2.jpg
    Park finds2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
nice finds doyboy. i have not found a IH cent or merc in a long time. oh well nothing really to post about :( found one silver piece and about ten wheat's this year. but sat, I'm off my lazy butt if it don't rain :-\. i got some places that i want to go over with my dfx that i went over with my xlt a long while back. keep them nice finds coming :)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC, you have found some nice peices of silver there. I only have a lowly silver nickle and a crusty colonial coin. Keep it up.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, you are doing very well and certainly have a good approach on how to find the old stuff. Congrats on the nice finds! HH, Mike

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds, You are exctly right about the parks. You dig every signal. That's how you find misses. I have also found many of 100 plus yr old coins on the surface or just beneath doing this.

They didn't get it all. Especially if the garbage is high. I have spots like those for last resort hunts.

Expect to dig 100 srewcaps and garbage to find it.

HH Jer

S

southbound

Very impressive! You have found a system that works for you. Congrats and good luck with future hunts. Vern

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
DOYBOY, Very Nice Finds, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 110
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 109

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, doyboy, Welcome to the forum. You have some nice coins there.

Thanks for the tips on hunting those old parks. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread