Old Peruvian Silver Coins

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping on getting some help/guidance from this excellent forum.

I recently looked through someone's coin collection to see whether there were any coins I might purchase. There was not a lot in the collection of value but there was a sizable amount of 90% silver coins from Peru which, at a glance, appear to date from around the turn of the 19th/20th century (i.e., late 1800s mostly). The coins are in the following denominations: 1/2 Dinero, 1 Dinero and 1/5 Sol. The coins all appear to be circulated but for the most part are in decent condition (I have not looked at the grading scale for these coins, but I would guess they are VG or F at a minimum); none appear to be uncirculated.

I did not look at the dates and mintmarks in detail; I just looked at a few of them to figure out what they are. Based on the general description I provided, what do folks think a fair offer per coin would be? I typically would offer around melt for common foreign silver coins, but some research on ebay and NGC's site seem to indicate that the value of these is typically a fair bit above melt (melt is currently 0.72, 1.44 and 2.88 for the 1/2 Dinero, 1 Dinero and 1/5 Sol, respectively), although there are a limited number of sales on ebay, so it is hard to get a good picture of value. They guy I would be buying the coins from is not knowledgeable and I don't want to take advantage of him or rip him off. At the same time, I want to buy these at a price that will allow me to make some profit if I decide I do not want to keep them or I have duplicates.

Anyone have knowledge of these coins or thoughts in general on what I should do?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You might check eBay at the link below on sold auctions for any you remember to see what they sold for. Just try to check the prices for the coins in the same to similar condition and dates. You may also find some links to websites that show values of the coins in the collection by doing a Google or search via another Search engine.

peru | eBay

Frank

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. $15.50 for each denomination or just the 1/5 Sol?

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a lot of foreign coins and Peru is very popular at the moment and you need to take a good look at the Dinero as there are a few with extremely low montages and can be worth a bit. The question you have to ask yourself is how much work do you want to do to get a premium price as foreign coins can be extremely hard to identify and you need the right boots to do this.

The first thing you need to be sure of is the coins orgin. You are going to have look these up because there are a bunch of variations also you need to confirm that these really are from Peru. I do not have all the specifics in front of me but there are a handful of those coins that will have the Obv. of Peru but be for another country. (I just ran into that a couple days ago and it was confusing.)

Cheers - Koffee

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koffee is right. I was giving you the lowest value but you need to keep an eye out for good dates. Here are the good dates for the ones you were interested in. 1/2 Dinero: 1893- 1 Dinero: 1893, 1894, 1895- 1/5 Sol: 1893, 1895.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread