Old piece, Possible 2.5 carat Alexandrite. Take a look and give me your opinion.

theyeag1

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sister bought this piece many years ago used and has told me that it was an Alexandrite. That didnt mean anything to me however she is now deceased and I have the task of the estate. I plan to have some refrac test run on it by a professional. And yes it does change colors from a deep purple to a light greenish tint. Just thought there might be someone out there that has dealt with this stone and could give me some insight as to how is the best way to verify and market the piece.
Thanks , heres a couple of pictures. DSC05272.JPG DSC05273.JPG DSC05272.JPG DSC05273.JPG

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a professional opinion from a jeweler , photos of gems are hard to do but , this looks like a cell phone picture to me.

Mimichele

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2016
Duluth, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE alexandrites! I believe Russian alexandrites, which are green to people blue color change, are mined out. Most on the market now are lab created but still can find on ebay. The value is going to depend on if it is true stone or if created, the clarify and cut, etc... but a large part of value is going to be based on the eye- how good the color change is and depth of color. Usually russian alexandrites change color from deep blue/purple/ruby color to green shades which sounds like what you have. If cut and color are really eye catching, i'd take to a jeweler to see if it's natural stone first because that will really make a difference in what people will be willing to pay. Even if it turns out to be lab created, it can still have good value. Then, natural or not, take really good pics in natural bright sun and indoor light that will catch sparkle best.

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pics are bit unclear, but 100% sure this is a synthetic alexandrite, popular on jewelry especially in the 40s-60s. your necklace could be gold or GF, you will need to look for marks or test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions