old pocket watch shell

Dunky

Feb 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LandStar
Is there anyone here who knows anything about pocket watches? I found this one about 4 inches down in the dirt. I know nothing about pocket watches (except this one won't tell time--seems to be missing something ;) ) I've been searching online for the past couple of hours trying to find information and trying to ID it. I've got a book coming from the library on pocket watches. It has no manufacturer markings that I can see. All it has is a serial number. 11609. The inside cover seems to be gold plated and the outside has very intricate scroll work over the face, actually all over the outside....maybe with some more cleaning I'll see something else I can go on. I wondered if anyone has seen this sort of design and might know anything about it?

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 602
  • The golden center.jpg
    The golden center.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 596
  • scroll work.jpg
    scroll work.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 595
OP
OP
Dunky

Dunky

Feb 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LandStar
Thanks Gypsy, I look in that direction and see what I can find. :)

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about pocket watches but it is a neat find.
HH,
Ed

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The serial number looks like a waltham
Made in massachusetts
There are a few web sites that will list the serial number and the year it was made.
You may have a nice pc of gold there.
Brady

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it looks more like polished brass, gold wouldn't tarnish the way that one has

OP
OP
Dunky

Dunky

Feb 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LandStar
I cleaned it up some more. It looked like gold plated--at least on the inside. I cleaned it with vinegar and a lot of green came out of it, so I think it is brass as well.

I borrowed a catalog of watches from the library. The serial numbers all seem to be fore the watch movements. Cases are another topic all together and I don't know where to go for that information. If it was a Waltham watch with a corresponding serial number it would be about an 1858 model? (If my memory serves me right) In the catalog I did find one drawing of the case that seemed to match mine. It was a drawing of one of the first models of railroad watches. But again, the value seems to be in the movement, not the case.

I'll hang on to the case, just in case (haha) I ever come across any more information.

Attachments

• Picture 136.jpg
    Picture 136.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 560

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread