Old Pocket watch

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps someone that knows a little about watches can help me find the year and maker of this watch. The front bezel and watch face are missing. The back cover and inner workings are intact. I found it on an old home site...went back to look for the bezel but no luck so far. Any way the inner plate is marked Special RR #40 which indicates it was a Railroad grade watch. There is a serial # of 202443 There is also a ser# on the watch case along with a makers mark but they are not discernible due to corrosion and as I understand are of no help any way. Looks like the watch was gold plated. The really nice thing about this watch is the engraving. It was brought to my attention that it is an engraving of the USS Maine from the Spanish American war.

strick

20180224_131124.jpg 20180224_140257.jpg 20180225_083250 (2).jpg
20180224_125319.jpg USS_Maine_c1897_LOC_det_4a25824.jpg

Upvote 20

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
February 15th, 1898, The USS Maine exploded and sank in Havana Harbor, Cuba.
It was claimed to have been a deliberate act of terrorism by Spain. In March, a month later, the United State declared war on Spain.
Thus began the Spanish / American War and the birth of the Battlecry, "Remember The Maine"
Congrats on your find. It is in all probability, post 1898.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool old relic there mate. Congrats on the recovery.:icon_thumright:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It was claimed to have been a deliberate act of terrorism by Spain. In March, a month later, the United State declared war on Spain.
Thus began the Spanish / American War and the birth of the Battlecry, "Remember The Maine"

And probably made rather soon after it sunk, as that was the peak of when the phrase was most used.

I would say that the watch is probably from around 1898-1910, based on the style of watch and the design of The Maine on it.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello strick. Wow that is really a special sort of find! Sorry I cannot help with the ID on it but thanks for posting it. Good Luck out there. C9

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunn and Illinois used the word special e.g. Bunn Special but it really can be any maker. Please post pics of the movement and case marks no matter how corroded. I can say that I have ever seen railroad abbreviated on a watch RR or a hash tag 40 curious. If you clean up the bridge plate is there any indication of number of jewels in the watch? Should be at least 19 for 1st part of RR quality standards. Any indication of adjustments positions? Are any of the jewels in the bridge plate Blue?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back I picked a USS Maine Shot glass made of pewter. It was hand etched with "remember the maine" Some time later work brought me to Annapolis Maryland and visited the Naval Academy there and toured its amazing museum of Naval artifacts. (More Medals of Honor on Display there than I have ever seen) They have a display case on the Maine with lots of memorabilia. I noticed they did not have a shot glass and I mentioned it to the Head of the museum. He expressed interest and I mailed it to him with the instructions of use don't use what ever. 2 months after I received a very nice letter from the Admiral thanking me for the donation and stating that it had been added to the display. You may consider this watch for that purpose so all can enjoy it :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful relic! :occasion14:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow that is a nice old pocket watch you found. Congrats:icon_thumright:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Later research showed that the hot coal cinders were kept next to a magazine storage. The resultant heat set off the magazine. It was not terrorism at all. Excellent find.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If your watch shows the 'USS Maine', it's a poor depiction since, IMO, the Maine had two stacks while your watch only shows one. Perhaps I'm being too 'picky'-or my rate of going blind is increasing.
Notwithstanding, it's a great find !
Don.........

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get a picture of the movement inside the back, I can tell you what you have. Could be a common watch or could be something worth restoring. It does appear to be 18 size, gold filled, and can't tell if it is open face or hunter case from the pics. A front pic would be nice too. I am a semi-retired watchmaker. Congrats by the way.

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS A COOL FIND......

OP
OP
strick

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I'll get more pictures up asap. The old homesite dates bach to late 1800's early 1900's so the time period is right. When I dug it I thought nice find... an old watch mostly intact which is rare and an engraving of a ship. I normally post on a smaller forum and one of the members there replied that the ship appeared to be the USS Main....I was thrown a little by the one stack as well but after carefully studying lots of pictures and paintings it looks more like it then not...there are the two flags fore and aft... the two masts... port holes and reverse bow. I definitely would consider getting it restored and or donating it to the museum if they are interested.

strick

OP
OP
strick

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more pictures of the innards of the watch..I know nothing about the terminology of the watch you guys were asking...hopefully this helps. Thanks again fellas!

20180311_130659.jpg 20180311_130808.jpg 20180311_130840.jpg
20180311_130927.jpg 20180311_130934.jpg 20180311_131106.jpg

strick

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more pictures of the innards of the watch..I know nothing about the terminology of the watch you guys were asking...hopefully this helps. Thanks again fellas!

View attachment 1562781 View attachment 1562782 View attachment 1562784
View attachment 1562786 View attachment 1562787 View attachment 1562788

strick

From what I can see it would not be worth restoring. It appears to be one of many Swiss movements that were imported to look like good U.S. watches. The movements were imported and fitted to American cases. I can't make out the case name, but it may be Swiss as well. Those imports liked to put names on like Railroad, Special, and others to appear to be U.S. made Still a cool find, but sorry for the bad news.

Last edited:
OP
OP
strick

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Johncoho into the treasure chest it goes!

strick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread