CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a rather loud cruddy sounding target while out a field that used to be a swimming hole this morning. The target turned out to be a rusty nearly gone steel soda can that was at 16 inches depth. Seems like pretty good depth penetration for a 7 point 25 inch search coil. I was hoping for a boat anchor maybe ::) thats how the dice rolls.

Upvote 0

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get that kind of depth as well...on old cast iron pipes. Funny thing is, they ring up as silver on the VDI.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I never knew there used to be steel soda cans, amazing! Can't help laughing at your joke about maybe finding an anchor at that 16-inch depth. Last week I was digging a narrow deep signal at around 16 inches also, on a beach here in California, and my head was practically in that hole when a couple from Australia walked past and joked, "Are you digging all the way to Australia?" I joked back it was probably an anchor but soon gave up on that target after digging a few more inches. I need longer arms. Noted its location though, in case I run out of other spots, lol. HH Andi

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they steel or tin?

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The can was like almost gone. Looked like combo of steel and tin maybe, is that possible?

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's my understanding that, although we commonly called them tin cans, they were steel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread