Old post cards

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recently inherited a number of 40s, and 50,s "black humor " post cards. Anyone have an idea where I can get them evaluated???

I guess you would have to call this stuff afro-american " humor" some "redneck" stuff as well. Altough not my cup of tea and not politically correct there are some people that collect them. Don't get me wrong and I hope no one is offended, I just inherited these thing and have had them laying around for quite some time and thought they may be of interest to somebody. ...Rick...

S

stefen

Black Humor as in Afro-American comedy or as in "Gallows Humor"?

Big difference! :coffee2:

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
There is a huge market for black americana...check out feebay in the cultures and ethnicity collectibles. It may not be PC, but folks buy them all the time....goat

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
There are books called "I'll buy that" "I'll buy the II" etc. Can't remember the authors name. The books list people that will buy anything collectible at wholesale prices. In one of the books is a guy (In VA or WVA I think) who will give you an idea on value of your postcards for the cost of one of your postcards. He get's to take one of his choice. That was like 10 yrs ago.
At that time most postcards were worth a buck a pop. Some were worth up to 5. Good luck.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
You can send them to me to go along with my Collection of President Obama Inaugural Washington Post Newspapers I only have about 1500 copiesI hope to Sale all of them at The Democratic Convention in Charlotte,N.C. goldnugget -Charlotte,N.C. 69 Char Obs Paper.jpg Wash Post Jan 2009.jpg Obama Washington Inaugural Paper Headline.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect postcards of all types. Black Americana being no exception. In general some of the higher ($50 and upwards) selling "Black Americana" ones are the older (pre 1930) "mechanical" (some type of moving part), or what is referred to as Alligator borders (Langsdorf), others include ones published by Raphael Tuck, real photo cards, other certain specific cards bring decent money but it's usually relating to a certain niche of collectability. For the most part "linen" postcards don't command high prices just yet, maybe sometime in the near future (hopefully). If yours date to the 40's-50's, this is probably typical of what you have. Can you post a few pics?

edit- And as always condition means everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread