old postcard/photo..........what is it of?

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
ok so i picked this up for a couple cents, maybe 50 or so a while back. i thought it might be sports related maybe baseball but ive showed it to several people and they have no idea......i trade sell and buy cards and this stumps me. im pretty sure its from around 1908-1920

anybody have any idea what it could be of?

back

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck I thought for a minute that it was an old photo of some gold miners but then I noticed their' shoes! The shoes are probably an early model of what we would consider a sports shoe, not something you would see a gold miner wear even in his off time. The gents were probably in some early minor and very little known Baseball League or were trying to get their' feet in the door.

Frank

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing sports from the clothes .......

OP
OP
stlcardinalsfan

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck I thought for a minute that it was an old photo of some gold miners but then I noticed their' shoes! The shoes are probably an early model of what we would consider a sports shoe, not something you would see a gold miner wear even in his off time. The gents were probably in some early minor and very little known Baseball League or were trying to get their' feet in the door.

Frank

yeah the tent and what not kinda throws ya off lol

the pants are also baseball type from that era, i thought maybe football from the looks of the shirts but football pants back then were padded heavily.

i tried looking up if the shirts could mean somthing but nothing stood out.

maybe its just a local baseball club or somthing similar

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah the tent and what not kinda throws ya off lol

the pants are also baseball type from that era, i thought maybe football from the looks of the shirts but football pants back then were padded heavily.

i tried looking up if the shirts could mean somthing but nothing stood out.

maybe its just a local baseball club or somthing similar

Yeah, or it may have been one of those annual community get togethers where many folks came and camped out and played in many numerous type of sports and participated in other events.

Frank

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello stlcard,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for the postcard.

It looks like a group of college age friends, circa 1910-1920, having a camp out. The guy in the front row is a Yalie, and he appears to be holding a shooting iron. The polo neck shirts started out late 1890's amongst the athletes, I believe. Noel Coward sported one that started a fad in the early Twenties. Is there no card company mark anywhere?

Blackstaffe-Tate.jpg

OP
OP
stlcardinalsfan

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello stlcard,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for the postcard.

It looks like a group of college age friends, circa 1910-1920, having a camp out. The guy in the front row is a Yalie, and he appears to be holding a shooting iron. The polo neck shirts started out late 1890's amongst the athletes, I believe. Noel Coward sported one that started a fad in the early Twenties. Is there no card company mark anywhere?

no marks at all, but the styling of the back had it narrowed down before 1920 cant remember what site i saw that had an example of the back.

still a cool post card/photo nontheless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions