Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found some old B&W pictures in an old warehouse. I am trying to ID the location and approx. date of racing cars. Does anyone know? One pic is signed by Bill Holland, but I don't know if it is connected to the other pics. The photoshop was in Richmond,Ind.

Attachments

• MVC-003E.JPG
    MVC-003E.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 3,917
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 3,830
  • MVC-006E.JPG
    MVC-006E.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,884

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Unidentified old pictures

QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
mojjax said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Does anyone know the name of a track in Indiana in the 40's? I would like to? ID before I sell them on e-bay.

They might even be of some use to Indiana MDers. There might be something good under those bleachers! :D
Here is some pictures from an old magazine I have .
Illiana Motor Speedway , Indiana .
LOL! I live a couple miles north of Illiana Speedway! Its on U.S. 30 in Schererville, Indiana and they still race stockcars there!

And school buses! :wink:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: Old racing pictures found in trash- RACETRAC and BLACK SUNDAY DRIVER IDed

Again a big thanks to wallbanger. :hello2: I started this post over 5 years ago and now all my questions are being answered. :icon_thumright:

The dirt racetrack in my pictures is the Richmond Midget Stadium in Richmond Indiana.

The time period is most likely 1948.

A little research and I found this: http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=21200&page=2

Re: abandoned speedways
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ft Wayne 5/8, South Anthony also in Ft. Wayne, Playland Park and Muncie are completely gone with no trace of a speedway. Richmond however still contains some clues to the magic of the old Richmond Midget Stadium. Several years ago while driving through Richmond I decided to see if I could find the location of the old track. The area has grown so much that following directions was difficult but I did eventually find the remnants. The first and second turns are gone replaced by a new home. The third turn banking was very much in evidence and a portion of the fourth turn also remained. The former pit area reveled a section about two feet long of the old guard rail, several old rusty 'old style' beer cans that needed a church key to open and an assortment of bolts, nuts and other leftovers of another time. None of the asphalt remains but after walking the area for several minutes we, my son was with me, discovered all of the asphalt from the former racing surface had been bladed off and dumped into a nearby ditch. If you have the time and patience and if you walk around where the former big wooden grandstand was located you will find the 6x6 timbers that were sunk in the ground to erect the grandstand. They are cut off a little below the surface of the ground. You can also pick out the where the flagstand was erected also with timbers sunk in the ground. As a youngster many, many years ago my father and I spent a lot of time at this race track.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is my accident photograph that shows Bill Mackey Gretsinger before his unfortunate death..
He was one of three big-time drivers, each of whom were veterans of the Indianapolis 500,
to lose their lives on the same day.
The infamous day in 1951 will forever be known as "Black Sunday".
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1410

ralph pyle bill mackey gretsinger.jpg Ralph Pyle accident 2 edit4.jpg

Im giving copies of all my pics to wallbanger for his help in identifying my pictures.
Because I need the money, I will have to sell the originals.

Does anybody have any idea what an original photo like this would be worth to racing collectors?

Ive blacked out some areas to keep collectors from stealing this image..
The back is stamped "Photo by Ralph Pyle".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The only mystery is who is in Car#21 sponsored by Perfect Circle?
Ralph Pyles stamp is not on these pictures but they were found together..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I received an email from Ralph Pyle today, a very interesting and nice guy.
He made pictures of the races for profit when he was 22 years old.
He sold them at the track for about $1 each. He never raced racecars.

It appears that I found a binder of someones personal racing photographs from
Richmond Midget Speedway with a few of Ralphs photos that were purchased there.

Ralph sent me a 1948 aerial of the Richmond Midget Speedway.
Someone that lives nearby could metal detect under those bleachers for silver. ;D

Ralph Pyle Aerial_crop.jpg

The driver in car #21 is either Sod Saunders a few weeks before he was killed or Duke Kimberling.

Ralph pyle pics sod saunders.jpg

Upvote 0

HoosierGirl

Jun 20, 2011
I have some photos from Mr Pyle of my grandfather when he raced midgets. If you still have them BigCypress, I would be interested in buying any of ppl our family wouldve known.. I dont know when this post was put up - this yr or 5 yrs ago. Pls let me know if you still have any - Thank you! (even electronic copies as there are many photos of my g'pa out there)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
HoosierGirl said:
I have some photos from Mr Pyle of my grandfather when he raced midgets. If you still have them BigCypress, I would be interested in buying any of ppl our family wouldve known.. I dont know when this post was put up - this yr or 5 yrs ago. Pls let me know if you still have any - Thank you! (even electronic copies as there are many photos of my g'pa out there)
Hello Hoosiergirl. Can you give his name or the number of the car he raced?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was getting ready to send some pictures off in the mail so if your Grandad is pictured here you need to tell me now please. Ill wait a day or so for your response. Is he pictured here? You may post is picture here and I could try and match his face or his car. What number was his car? You can send me a PM if you wish.

Going through the stuff I found, I noticed a few cool racing books. One is by Perfect Circle.

These books are full of cool stuff including "Build Your Own HOT Roadster."

Attachments

• racing books.jpg
    racing books.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 709
  • racing build your own.jpg
    racing build your own.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 727
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im marking this old thread as solved.

The Bill Holland Offenhauser pic is going on eBay. I have no idea if it has any value so it will be a learning experience. My guess its 1949? I sold some pics already.

Attachments

• MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last front drive car to win the Indianapolis 500 (in 1949). It looks like the car raced at Indy in '47, '48, '49, & '50.

Built in 1947 Deidt Offenhauser " Blue Crown Spark Plug Special" Indy Car.

IMS+Old+4.jpg

I saw a couple of Bill Holland autographs on line but couldn't find a price.

Good luck with your auction.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last front drive car to win the Indianapolis 500 (in 1949). It looks like the car raced at Indy in '47, '48, '49, & '50.

Built in 1947 Deidt Offenhauser " Blue Crown Spark Plug Special" Indy Car.

View attachment 657240

I saw a couple of Bill Holland autographs on line but couldn't find a price.

Good luck with your auction.

DCMatt
Thanks. I listed it but I dont think its worth anything. The personal pictures are the ones that have received the most attention.

Upvote 0

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bigcypresshunter, could you possibly give a more detailed description of the area where the midget race track was? I know of Richmond and would like to see if I could find the area. Perhaps some street addresses or landmarks nearby. Also Ralph Pyle was "Thee" photographer of that area back then. Thanks mdj

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Bigcypresshunter, could you possibly give a more detailed description of the area where the midget race track was? I know of Richmond and would like to see if I could find the area. Perhaps some street addresses or landmarks nearby. Also Ralph Pyle was "Thee" photographer of that area back then. Thanks mdj
Sorry I have been away for a long time. I have no idea where the track is other than what is posted here. http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/show...t=21200&page=2

Re: abandoned speedways
----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

The Ft Wayne 5/8, South Anthony also in Ft. Wayne, Playland Park and Muncie are completely gone with no trace of a speedway. Richmond however still contains some clues to the magic of the old Richmond Midget Stadium. Several years ago while driving through Richmond I decided to see if I could find the location of the old track. The area has grown so much that following directions was difficult but I did eventually find the remnants. The first and second turns are gone replaced by a new home. The third turn banking was very much in evidence and a portion of the fourth turn also remained. The former pit area reveled a section about two feet long of the old guard rail, several old rusty 'old style' beer cans that needed a church key to open and an assortment of bolts, nuts and other leftovers of another time. None of the asphalt remains but after walking the area for several minutes we, my son was with me, discovered all of the asphalt from the former racing surface had been bladed off and dumped into a nearby ditch. If you have the time and patience and if you walk around where the former big wooden grandstand was located you will find the 6x6 timbers that were sunk in the ground to erect the grandstand. They are cut off a little below the surface of the ground. You can also pick out the where the flagstand was erected also with timbers sunk in the ground. As a youngster many, many years ago my father and I spent a lot of time at this race track.

Ralph Pyle sent me this 1948 aerial photograph:

Ralph Pyle Aerial_crop.jpg

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Bch! I took the larger car to be an Allard but the grill doesn't fit.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions