tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some trading with a guy who buys scrap gold and silver. He has a lot of jewelry pieces come in his shop and many of those pieces he sets out for resale rather than send them to the refiners. I thought this ring was pretty interesting so I did some swapping with him to have it. It is 18K gold and set with many small round facet diamonds in white gold around these three round facet green stones. To me they look natural with some inclusions within them and I was thinking they're maybe green emeralds? Then I was watching the British Antiques Road show and this lady brought in a diamond and green stone brooch. The appraiser ask her what she thought the green stones were and she said she thought the were green emeralds. The appraiser said you might think that, but they are something much more rare then emeralds and in fact they are a rare garnet from Russia know as green Demantoid. Now I wonder what I have?? I guess it's hard for any of you to tell by just a photo, but I've never really seen emeralds cut in this fashion as they are more often cab'd or facet cut in a cushion shape. It looks like emerald in bright light, but in lower light it becomes a more beautiful deep green color. The only other mark then the 18K is the initials JG which I think is the makers mark?.

Attachments

• green ring 1.jpg
    green ring 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
  • green ring 2.jpg
    green ring 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • green ring 3.jpg
    green ring 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a lightly colored emerald(columbian?), tourmaline, could be cut crsytal, diamond, or something else. Hard to say with out a hardness test and a few other things

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that there is a maker's mark and that it is 18k makes me think that the gemstones are going to be high quality. I would guess emeralds, but like the others say, there is a number of different stones that they could be. Emeralds, diamonds, tourmalines, garnets, it really hard to say. I would take it to a good gemoligyst or jeweler, you would really need an expert to examine them to know what they are for sure. Just my two cents! :thumbsup: As for the maker's mark, there are a number of "JG" makers marks. The one on the ring looks modern, but there again, you need a good maker's mark researcher to figure out which one it might be......Really nice ring IMO!:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with IAMZIM. You really need a gemologist to check them out, to be sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks everyone. I pretty much expected it would need to be looked at closely by a gemologist. They do charge a fee, but hopefully I'll have some options to compare pricing around here were I live. I know my local jeweler who's been a family run store for a few decades in my town charges $150.00 for a certified appraisal, which I don't really want to pay that much. I was watching that show Pawn Star's and this guy brought in a piece of Amber with a spider in it. The shops jewelry guy thought it could be real, but wasn't a 100% sure. The pawn shop wouldn't buy it unless it was sent to the GIA for inspection and that was a $250.00 fee. That piece of Amber came back as a man made resin and the guy was out $250. and no sale to the Pawn Star's. Guess I'll just have to wonder what it is for a while.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks everyone. I pretty much expected it would need to be looked at closely by a gemologist. They do charge a fee, but hopefully I'll have some options to compare pricing around here were I live. I know my local jeweler who's been a family run store for a few decades in my town charges $150.00 for a certified appraisal, which I don't really want to pay that much. I was watching that show Pawn Star's and this guy brought in a piece of Amber with a spider in it. The shops jewelry guy thought it could be real, but wasn't a 100% sure. The pawn shop wouldn't buy it unless it was sent to the GIA for inspection and that was a $250.00 fee. That piece of Amber came back as a man made resin and the guy was out $250. and no sale to the Pawn Star's. Guess I'll just have to wonder what it is for a while.
That's a tough call, $150.00 for an appraisal seems steep to me, the stones are nice, but, I might check from others to see if the jeweler has a good rep, that way if you ever decide to spend that much for the appraisal, you can feel confident it is a good one! I think the most I've ever paid for an appraisal was $125.00, but it might depend on the part of the U.S. you are in. At any rate, Id definitely hold on to that ring!!! Oh! I see you are in Colorado, there are a lot of reputable Gem dealers there, and diggingthe1 has a good point, you might have some luck taking it to a gem show!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like aquamarine, I have rough that has similar color, very nice ring

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread