Old School Suggestions?

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
We had bad weather today and even though we found a few coins,spent most of the time driving and sometimes getting lost,but that ended up being lucky.We found a abandoned high school/ church school.There is a overgrown long stretch of sidewalk,parking area,whats left of playground equipment,a bike rack.Out back a football field and baseball backstop.It is dated 1936.When the weather clears we are going to hit it and would like any suggestions on where you would start.

bigrig

Upvote 0

upier

Jan 6, 2005
i would start by wipeing the drool from my chin
then the football field area . where bleachers may of been

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id work the sidewalk area,play area,bike rack,parking lot edges the smallest closest reas first work it out then move to the playfeilds side lines, bleachers area(?)and back stops then the open feilds,parking lot etc. smallest areas first then hit the open spaces just my ideas lowbatts some feed back please. ???

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Strange site, limited time, either pick the playground equipment and work it deep and hard or go cherry picking for the best signals at your best depth in the "running zone." The spots where kids always get yelled at because they are supposed to walk, not run, usually a little wide open but where there would be other traffic.. Any worn down foot paths? Then the old stumps and biggest oldest trees you can find to swing around the base of. Baseball backstops are good sites where kids wear jewelry because that's where they were pulling of their gloves and putting them on in the pick up games. But not too likely in them old, more practical days. More likely the coinage is where the slides happened on the baselines.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah, them outfields are great because they are often the picnic ground used for socials and other events of the past in a site where the school was also the social gathering point of the community.

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
I've had good luck along the fence lines. Play ground equipment areas are great also. If you can find some old pictures of the school that would be a good source of info... You're gonna have some fun at this site! Post all your finds for us to drool over....

V

Vingamel

Pretend you're a student and go where you would hang out. I'd check near the entrances, sidewalks, and near any large trees first. If there's a gravel parking lot, check that, too.

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
just remember that the big trees in the area are the spot for coins. I always find a few silver under those big guys. Kids would lay out there napping and change or milk money would fall right out. GO FOR THE SHADY PLACES FIRST

V

Vingamel

And kids and sidewalks repel each other, so look for low places in the grass where the kids walked or congregated.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Bigrig. Happy Birthday ;D

OP
OP
bigrig40

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Thanks Jeff! ;D The big 4-0! Bab news is its 13 wind chill today so i can't do a b-day hunt,good news is i have tickets to the pacers-sonics basketball game today in indy.Me and my dad will have a good time.

bigrig

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL, I'm shure you will have a Great time :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Happy b'day to you, happy b'day to you,
Screw the snowman, let's go dig a few.

Hey how much snow did you get thereabouts last night. We got very little, just enough to cover the ground. Was looking over hte Hancock County genweb site and there looks to be some good old site potential in that neck of the woods. http://www.rootsquest.com/~indiana/hancock/

Ever poke around Blue River Twp.?

OP
OP
bigrig40

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
thanks lowbatts,
detectorist and poet.who new! ;D We here only got a dusting to 1/2 inch.This weekend looks about 30%precpt.and high around 40.Haven't checked out blue river yet.we just take a few hours here and there and hit back roads and see what comes up.Besides the one school we found a park with a newer band shell and large blanket sitting area and electrical hook ups.one other school about an hour away from the first one thats being torn down.So when ever you can find a few plus and some new spots its a good day.

bigrig

V

Vingamel

I'd love to hunt Madison, Indiana.

And the Blue River...beautiful. I canoed it a few years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread