Old school

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question. I drove to an old school that was built in 1909 and has been abandoned. I seen a small house behind it so I knocked on door and asked if I could hunt it. He said yes so I spent 15 mins out front and found old wheats. He came riding up on golf cart and we started talking he said his father bought ground in early 70s and he can't remember anyone detecting it. The school is very run down two story brick and can't figure out places to look for to hunt for best results. He doesn't know where anything was at but parking lot. I believe the school closed in late 50s early 60s. Any advise would be great. I plan on going back this weekend I had to leave because my daughter was with me and this place doesn't look that safe. Thanks

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - I noticed you are from Ohio (you didn't mention where the school was) so maybe you can browse Sub-Forums: Ohio for information...

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until someone pipes in - I noticed you are from Ohio (you didn't mention where the school was) so maybe you can browse Sub-Forums: Ohio for information...

Thanks for suggestion I've never hunted an old school before and was wondering the best places to detect on the school grounds. I'm in nw Ohio the owner of the school said I can keep anything I find but was very hesitant at first to let me detect until he figured out I wasn't with the county gov. I guess he has lot of pressure to tear down the school but doesn't have the money to do so. He was very nice but very suspicious about me till I talked with him for about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for suggestion I've never hunted an old school before and was wondering the best places to detect on the school grounds. I'm in nw Ohio the owner of the school said I can keep anything I find but was very hesitant at first to let me detect until he figured out I wasn't with the county gov. I guess he has lot of pressure to tear down the school but doesn't have the money to do so. He was very nice but very suspicious about me till I talked with him for about an hour.

image-3149830653.png

This is a pic of front of school I got off Internet I wasn't about to take any pics while I was there. He probably wouldn't of let me hunt.

JJohnson

Mar 14, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Explorer, XS, E-Trac, CTX-30/30
Garrett: Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a quick look around and try to locate what used to be play ground, parking area and athletic fields. Grid detect those areas and be very detailed. Heck used some type of marking like pink tape, spray paint our just a wooden stake to mark your progress. If you have a GPS use that. Some times you just have to approach a site very technical when areas that normally jump out at you are hidden. Try looking on Bing maps using "Birds Eye" view, maybe areas will be more outlined...Let us know what you come up with. Good luck

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question. I drove to an old school that was built in 1909 and has been abandoned. I seen a small house behind it so I knocked on door and asked if I could hunt it. He said yes so I spent 15 mins out front and found old wheats. He came riding up on golf cart and we started talking he said his father bought ground in early 70s and he can't remember anyone detecting it. The school is very run down two story brick and can't figure out places to look for to hunt for best results. He doesn't know where anything was at but parking lot. I believe the school closed in late 50s early 60s. Any advise would be great. I plan on going back this weekend I had to leave because my daughter was with me and this place doesn't look that safe. Thanks

Sounds like a dream come true !!!:hello2:

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a dream come true !!!:hello2:

Went back there tonight about 7pm and started in front again found 8 wheats in and owner came up and we talked about everything under the sun next thing I realized it was 830 and getting dark so I left lol he said he is going away this weekend so I'm going to hit it then :) nice guy though.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a quick look around and try to locate what used to be play ground, parking area and athletic fields. Grid detect those areas and be very detailed. Heck used some type of marking like pink tape, spray paint our just a wooden stake to mark your progress. If you have a GPS use that. Some times you just have to approach a site very technical when areas that normally jump out at you are hidden. Try looking on Bing maps using "Birds Eye" view, maybe areas will be more outlined...Let us know what you come up with. Good luck

Thanks for the info I'm defiantly going to grid this place I went there tonight and I think I found an old baseball field. Over grown of course but I didn't swing detector because I was walking property with the owner. The owner isn't interested in metal detecting but wants me to do some electrical work for him at his house. While we were talking I told him what I did for a living and sure enough he needs my help. I told him I would help him as long as he didn't mind if I detected his property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread