May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew, been a long day today but think I got a decent feel for the xterra compared to the ace. Still got a ways to go figuring out what the numerical id actually means, but for now 20 and over seems to be good enough Well this was how today went.

The wife and I started out in a spot we usually don't fool with much, and as usual I was mostly getting cans and rusty cans when she starts yelling for me and comes running "Coin, Coin, Big friggin coin!!" "Is it silver?" I yelled back. Then I just stopped and enjoyed watching her run over to me. She hands it to me and I see the foreign words around a ladys face the turn it over and see its a 1900 English penny. "Good Job" I say, starting to feel a bit jealous.

1900 penny back.JPG 1900 penny front.JPG

She continued working around that area and found a few more items and a 1947 wheat but that was about all. I still was getting pretty much nada, so I started to feel the call of the old homesite I'd started to believe was dead and moseyed on down. Been a wee bit since I was last there and the landowner had rooted around in the field moving away a few larger rocks and leaving some spots torn up where the boulders had been pushed away. Seems to have really helped a bit cause a lot of this stuff turned up in all the muddy, rutted out, torn up, sinking up to your ankles before you can jump free, no good, but absolutely lovely honey holes of missed items, lol.

IH and buckles.JPG harmonica and watch.JPG wheats and brass.JPG

Boy oh boy, never found that many IH's in one day and most of them are in really good condition front and back. All I did to these was a quick peroxide bath and wipe with oil. Also has to be the most complete pocket watch and harmonica I've ever gotten. All I can think is that maybe the clay might've helped somehow. Never found a harmonica still mostly together like that. The center piece is a bit mushy, but maybe I can save it somehow. Still love the patina on the reeds, really hoping it don't disintegrate. The pocket watch is also going to be nice if I can keep it together while getting most of the dirt out.

And finaly this one I have no idea how I missed before. This was in a nice level spot near a rock, extremely clear and repeatable, and only a few inches down. An 1855 A 3 pefinnig coin! 3 bqck pfennig.JPG 3 front pfennig.JPG
I couldn't believe this one! at first I was figuring on a crushed can close to the top then I seen it basically flat on the bottom of the plug. Didn't have a clue what it was But the date had me all psyched up. Really got me thinking too.

The area where I find all this stuff has a jump in dates probabley cause of being used in different times I guess. I've found a lot of mid 1880's to 1940's stuff there, but a few Lc's and other things earlier show up from time to time scattered about the field. A ways down the road is a place called Germany hollow road, but in my wanderings about the place I got permission on. I did find a small run down graveyard with a few legible stones and one was a fellow named Henry O. Hesse marked Born in Germany and died in 1870 something. Really has me thinking that coin could have actually been brought over by him. Now that's something that really makes you think eh? Who knows, might be some more items left there to tie the story of that land together. Even found some War of Northern Aggression items scattered about over the years there. You really gotta love the stories just a few random items compiled together can really tell you if you could only listen. Can't wait to do it all again, but boy my arm is all stiff from the hiatus I was on. Hehe, seems I need to ease back into the all dayers again. Well best of luck to ya'll and HH.:laughing7:

Upvote 3

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank goodness you made the call to mosey to the homestead. Amazing finds and i'm with you. Never found a harmonica reed so complete either. Congrats!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds, sometimes you just have to keep on detecting to get to the good stuff. Keep on hunting! :headbang:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice, I understand the excited wife part, sure is fun to see and hear them but sometimes they help you to detect a little harder to catch up, LOL

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on those great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread