Old Spanish Silver

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week I picked my brother up from the airport after a Elk hunting trip in NM. After some small talk about the trip he mentioned to me that one of the hunters in the lodge was showing off a Spanish silver coin from the 1700s that he found out in the woods. I'm going to make some calls and see if I can get some more details and speak with the hunter. It has been two years since my last trip to NM so I may just have to go back and do a little detecting.

HH

NJ

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Since I live in NM, would be interesting to find out what part of the state the coin was found in. My MXT needs some exercise.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OroGrande said:
Since I live in NM, would be interesting to find out what part of the state the coin was found in. My MXT needs some exercise.

I'll see what I can find out.

longshotman

Sep 29, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
several, Garrett, whites, gold-bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also live in new mexico and would be very interested in what part of the state the coin was found.
Mike

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was in southern NM by Las Cruces. I'm trying to get in touch with the guide or the hunter to get more information.

NJ

nmfj40

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum
The problem with that is there isnt any elk in the Caballo's. Closest elk hunting would be either the Sacramento Mtns or up around Silver City in the Gila.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a hunter but I know there were Elk where they were hunting because they brought a head home with them. When I picked them up from the airport they had the skinner skull with two huge antlers that were almost as tall as me and I'm 5'10". That is with the points of the antlers cut off. I guess the airlines make you cut them so no one gets hurt loading them in the plane. They went south of Albuequerque where they told me there are less Elk then in north NM but they are usually larger. I'm not having much luck with emailing the outfitter they used. Oh well.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Does the finding of ONE! coin indicate a treasure trove ?
I have a friend who found a very heavy silver bracelet, hand made, in the mnts..
Another found a Winchester 45-70 in the mnts, in perfect shape
Another's Grandfather used to pick up small rounded gold nuggets in the mnts/cave
Things get lost ...
Things get found ...
He77 !
I, lost a 45 semi auto in the mnts...
&
I'll bet there it's still there, too!
I was diving in So. Ca ( Dana Point) and found a $20 bill in the kelp
Does that mean there's a ship wreck off shore? ???

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cptbild said:
Does the finding of ONE! coin indicate a treasure trove ?
I have a friend who found a very heavy silver bracelet, hand made, in the mnts..
Another found a Winchester 45-70 in the mnts, in perfect shape
Another's Grandfather used to pick up small rounded gold nuggets in the mnts/cave
Things get lost ...
Things get found ...
He77 !
I, lost a 45 semi auto in the mnts...
&
I'll bet there it's still there, too!
I was diving in So. Ca ( Dana Point) and found a $20 bill in the kelp
Does that mean there's a ship wreck off shore? ???

No it does not but if there is one I think the chance of there being more is much better then if you never find the one.

NateGrand

Jan 30, 2008
Columbia, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/ Whites
As a VERY avid elk/deer hunter....I would say that the majority of people who fly in from, I'm assuming New Jersey, would hunt the Unit 16 (A,B, or C region) for elk. The elk in these territories are the largest of any in the state, and some of the largest in the nation for that fact. They are referred to the elk hunters in the area as the "Gila Monsters".....and I'm not talking about the lizard. Unit 16A is located just north of Mogollon, NM. This is the "BEST" hunting in the state for elk....and yes it is south of Albquerque. Do you know if you brother was on Indian land or not? Or the guides name. I know alot of local guides in the area.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NateGrand said:
As a VERY avid elk/deer hunter....I would say that the majority of people who fly in from, I'm assuming New Jersey, would hunt the Unit 16 (A,B, or C region) for elk. The elk in these territories are the largest of any in the state, and some of the largest in the nation for that fact. They are referred to the elk hunters in the area as the "Gila Monsters".....and I'm not talking about the lizard. Unit 16A is located just north of Mogollon, NM. This is the "BEST" hunting in the state for elk....and yes it is south of Albquerque. Do you know if you brother was on Indian land or not? Or the guides name. I know alot of local guides in the area.

I will have to ask him again. I'm not a hunter so this is all foreign to me. It was not his guide so I'm not sure if he will know the guides name but I can definitely find out the outfitter again. From what he told me the Elk in this area are fewer but much larger then the ones in the north. Someone else claimed my story did not make sense because there is no Elk in this area and since I know nothing about hunting I'm not versed enough to claim he was wrong. I thought that maybe I got my story mixed up but I'm glad you confirmed there are Elk there and they are the big ones since that is exactly what my brother claimed. It was my brother, one of his friends and a guide with horses. My brothers friend did take an Elk and flew the skull and antlers back and I've never seen antlers this big in my life. From the tip of the skull to the end of the antlers it was easily 5 to 6 feet high. The coin was found by another hunter and they only heard about it when they came into the lodge. They never saw it but someone who had helped the hunter look it up on line and they claim it was Spanish silver. I just flew in from Mexico last night so I should speak to my brother sometime this weekend then I'll let you know the outfitter. Maybe you would have more luck tracking down details.

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
I have found Spanish silver IN and AROUND Las Cruces. Follow the dozers, follow the tillers ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread