Old Spot, Older Goodies.....

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Had my fill of the tot-lots lately since they are bone dry with finds. Decided to go back into the woods to find some oldies. I have been researching a very old site here in NJ for weeks now. Date's back to the 1700's. And boy did I have a great day. Wish ALL day's were like this My only mistake was wearing shorts to the site to beat the heat. The mosquitoes and flies were all over me. Had to call it a day after just two and a half hours. I will be going back soon though. Salivating over it!

About twenty minutes after turning on my machine (and after several false hits) I got a sweet 78-80 VDI on the MXT. Dug about an inch and out came the beautiful 1917 Mercury dime in the pics. Why can't it always be that easy Missed the big money by a year and a "D". No complaints though. After that, the signals became spare for a bit. During this time, I eyeballed what looked like an old bottle buried half in the dirt. Picked it up and knew it was a keeper. It is a "Green River Distilleries" whiskey bottle. Doesn't have a date, however, the company was formed in the mid 1800's & was actually the first distillery to provide whiskey to the troops fighting the war. After looking it up online, seems the bottles from this comapny are HIGHLY collectable.

My next find was some sort of brass thingamajig. Don't remember the VDI. When I pulled it out of the hole, I thought it was just some hook or decorative latch. When I got home though, I noticed some writing on it - "ROTULUS". Looked it up online and came up with nothing. No families, no similar products, nada. I will research it some more.

My final catch of the day was a cool old padlock from the "Eagle Lock Co.". Don't know the age, but, judging from the site, I would say no later than early 30's. It will clean up nice and make a fine addition to the collection. Thanks for reading everyone. Hope your day was as good as mine

Attachments

• DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 685
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 685
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 684
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 683
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver there congrats.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds,congrats! :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: sweet finds

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Last week I went to a site I have been to several time with no problem. We've had rain nearly every day for two weeks. The mosquitos nearly ate me alive and I had on shorts. These devils were tiny much smaller than the ones we usually have. But looooordy do they itch? Guess who took everything I needed except my Cutter's! Monty

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice assortment of finds !! and good luck on your next trip.

TommNJ

H

hessian raider

Great finds! The "rotulus" item looks like a suspender clip to me. Just a guess...

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I have a lock identical to that one that I found last year. Mine is not in as good a shape as yours. Sounds like you have a great spot there to pound. Cooler weather might meet you there next time you go. :thumbsup:

Baldingboy

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an eagle lock too but mine looks older, nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread