billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Week before last, on the way to an estate sale, we stopped at another garage sale/estate sale on the same highway. Stuff was laid out in rows in front of a house, and up near the house things were strewn in stacks and piles. Late morning, most things were already picked through and now more scattered than strewn. My wife went back to the pickup, but I decided to go down to the end of the long rows of junk, clothes, and one ending with a series of old plastic ice chests.

At the very end of the row, I opened the last of the various dusty & dirty blue and white plastic ice chests. Inside was junk and a pair of old spurs. Each spur had a 12" long piece of bailing wire wrapped around it. Still 40 feet away, as I walked back toward the people running the sale, like holding up a pair of dead rats by the tail, I held up the pair by the end of the wires and said, "How about three dollars for both?"

A tired, but quick and loud reply came back, "Sure, that's sound good."

I paid one of the sellers with three Ones', a smile, and a "Thank you". As I got into the pickup, My wife just looked at me and said, "I didn't see a thing in all that... You can find just about anything, can't you?"

When I got home, I took off the bailing wire and put the old spurs inside a Zip-Loc Baggie with some WD-40's new Penetrating Oil; coating them and let them have a long "soak"..... A week went by, and tonight, I wiped them dry and took them inside the shop because of the scattered rain showers, and to the fine wire brush on the other electric grinder. After a few minutes, I found the maker's name, Crockett. As the dust and surface rust came off, I saw they had two engraved silver overlays on each spur.... the 2" long overlay on each spur is the shape of the old style Barber Shop mustache.... The only matching pair I found from an Internet search are worn and also without the leather straps, but the ones I found are in a bit better condition that the one referenced...
emo1.gif

Crockett Mustache or Butterfly Spurs

Vintage Pair of Crockett Mustache or Butterfly Spurs for sale

The belt buckle in the picture, well, "that's another story"....

Bill

Attachments

• Western silver finds for May 31_14 003.JPG
    Western silver finds for May 31_14 003.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
"I opened the last of the various dusty & dirty blue and white plastic ice chests. Inside was junk and a pair of old spurs."

Once again proving the value of looking inside bins and boxes no matter how shabby they appear on the outside. I find it fascinating to watch people at yard sales and estate sales. 90+ percent give the sale a quick "once over" and leave. I suppose a lot of people are looking for something specific but there is a lot of treasure buried in boxes and dark corners.

Nice find, bill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread