Old Strap Hinges, Shellfish Midden

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy I got out detecting for 6 hours today before a cold snap moves in. Temps around 32 degrees today not accounting for wind chill and expected to drop down into the teens and twenties with high winds. Might go out detecting in it because the ground has not yet frozen.

Found some large hinges and judging from the contours of the forest floor it looks as though a large barn and out buildings once stood here. Looking forward to picking around more. Not much buried debris beyond forged nails so I'm thinking quite old. Not even foundation stones around. I found this brass object which I can't identify but I find the coarse manufacture interesting.

Today while digging a signal I encountered a clam and oyster shell midden about 6" thick below 3" of topsoil. In the small hole I found this red pottery shard and piece of worked quartz. This site is apparently undisturbed and not suffering from erosion so I will let preservationists know about it. I will not disturb these settlement sites. I will only collect a surface point on its way into the ocean from the effects of erosion or in heavily disturbed agricultural fields. Having a background in professional archaeology these shell middens are familiar finds for me as I have excavated two of them. We have both red and grey pottery with either quartz or shell grit additives. Texture or incising can be applied with a shell. While we have brown and green cherts, the points made from our abundant quartz cobble, especially the clear crystal, are gorgeous.

tres207.jpg tres208.jpg tres209.jpg tres210.jpg tres211.jpg

Upvote 5

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass piece looks like the end of a roller?
I think they might be the end of a roller blind, but I'm not sure. What I do know is they are a regular find for us over here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread