Old stuff from down south

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_1359.jpg 0.jpg Some older pieces from down south. Cowhouse slough and union side notch are trans paleo, and I was told the edgefield is early archaic. surface finds on an old friends property.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I would also think two are trans paleo. Great, great stuff.

OP
OP
T

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Smokey. The union side notch has the shallowest shoulders. It almost looks like they were produced from grinding rather than flaking

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandchp??? Is that an Edgefield scraper? It has the Bolen look to me.

Nice finds Twistedsifter!

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchp??? Is that an Edgefield scraper? It has the Bolen look to me.

Nice finds Twistedsifter!

I dunno. Looks on the small side, although there's nothing there as a size reference other than what I'm guessing the other point would measure. I'd also like to see the other side to see if it's unifaced. I've seen biface examples typed as Edgefields, but they always seemed more like wishful thinking to me. I guess I'm too much of a purist. The other side would decide it for me if it was mine. If it's worked on both sides, I'd agree with you on it being a Bolen. I believe they were contemporaneous to each other, so there's no telling what special task determined how a particular tool was made at the time by the user.

Regardless, I'm with you, Tdog. Twisted has himself some nice finds!

OP
OP
T

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandchip- the side notch is mostly uniface. There is a small amount of flaking in the notch area on the opposite side but none other than that. Base is ground smooth, and the edge is steeply beveled.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip- the side notch is mostly uniface. There is a small amount of flaking in the notch area on the opposite side but none other than that. Base is ground smooth, and the edge is steeply beveled.

Sounds like an Edgefield to me. There will always be flaking in the notch area, regardless. The blade area is all that counts.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really see Cowhouse in either one. Honestly, the first one looks like a blade preform. I'd lean more towards Stanfield than Cowhouse on the one you just posted, but I'd take the unfluted Clovis that was mentioned and leave it be!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread