Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to my farm site right at sunrise this morning. This site is super super trashy and I have put a few hundred hours in here. I have pulled 2 large cents in the past
And thought I had another

I can't find any info on the tokes besides what's written

On the front is a cross with a crown. And on the back it says. 15th international convention july 8-15 1896. Water didn't really clean it up too well. And seeing the green. Was thinking copper. Welllll...... Made the mistake of doing a peroxide dip. For a little bit longer than I would of liked. Now it looks brass/gold. Leaning towards brass

Cool to find a 119 year old token. Does anyone have anymore info on it? I struck out searching the web

Here is also the junk for the day

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422204164.229623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422204175.398560.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422204186.431300.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422204196.218256.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422204216.295931.jpg

Upvote 9

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old token. I love finding old tokens.
Congrats.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This excerpt from Wiki may give you a clue:
The Cross and Crown (a cross passing through a crown),is seen by some to be a Christian symbol appearing in many churches, particularlyRoman Catholic;and has also been used in heraldry.[1][2] It is often interpreted as symbolizing the reward in heaven (the crown)coming after the trials in this life (the cross) (James 1:12).
The symbol is also associated with Freemasonry,specifically the Knight Templar degree of the York Rite f Freemasonry.
The symbol was also featured in the early publications and memorabilia of the Bible Students. First appearing on the cover of the January 1881 issue of Zion's Watch Tower,[6] the cross and crown were surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves, and the symbol was also used on lapel pins, buttons (metal and celluloid) and pendants of various designs.

Notice that the year in the sentence above (1881), is 15 years before your token was issued; perhaps referencing the same event of 1881.
Don.....

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This excerpt from Wiki may give you a clue:
The Crossand Crown (a cross passing through a crown),is seen by some to be a Christian symbol appearing in many churches, particularly Roman Catholic;and has also been used in heraldry.[1][2] It is often interpreted as symbolizing the reward in heaven (the crown)coming after the trials in this life (the cross) (James 1:12).
The symbol is also associated with Freemasonry,specifically the Knight Templar degree of the York Rite f Freemasonry.
The symbol was also featured in the early publications and memorabilia o fthe Bible Students. First appearing on the cover of the January 1881 issue of Zion's Watch Tower,[6] the cross and crown were surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves, and the symbol was also used on lapel pins, buttons (metal and celluloid) and pendants of various designs.

Notice that the year in the sentence above (1881), is 15 years before your token was issued; perhaps referencing the same event of 1881.
Don.....

I read the same thing. The problem with finding any further info is there was the democratic national convention was held in dc around the same date

Thanks for the help

Bob

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find. rather than a token, I believe because of the hole, it was part of a convention medal/medallion that hung from a ribbon

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Tokens are one of my favorite finds, they always bring me great joy.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find. rather than a token, I believe because of the hole, it was part of a convention medal/medallion that hung from a ribbon

Maybe. But wondering why they would put the hole through the middle of the word obscuring a letter

I got it cleaned up nice and pretty now

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422220546.762914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422220558.877921.jpg

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://worldsceunion.org/files/CE-Americas.pdf

Held their convention in Washington July 1896. I noticed the convention ended on the 13th which is what the end date appears to be on your last photo. This appears to be a multi-denominational group, and it might be that your piece was issued by a local group, leading to the different symbols.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very cool! Tokens are always a great find!

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://worldsceunion.org/files/CE-Americas.pdf

Held their convention in Washington July 1896. I noticed the convention ended on the 13th which is what the end date appears to be on your last photo. This appears to be a multi-denominational group, and it might be that your piece was issued by a local group, leading to the different symbols.

Definitely nailed it with the link.
So it looks like the gentleman that owned the cellar hole/farm where I found this made the trip to Washington, D.C. In 1896 along with 75,000 other people for the Christian conference. Can't imagine. How long of a journey and how tough it was. We take cars for granted for sure

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely nailed it with the link.
So it looks like the gentleman that owned the cellar hole/farm where I found this made the trip to Washington, D.C. In 1896 along with 75,000 other people for the Christian conference. Can't imagine. How long of a journey and how tough it was. We take cars for granted for sure

Think I read somewhere that it was the biggest group (at least a religious one) that had ever assembled in DC.

jeojeda

Mar 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one exactly as the one you posted. Is from a 1896 15th International Convention (the true is this is the 15th convention but the 1st International) of the Christian Endeavors in Washington DC. I can not find original photos or draws from it. I am presuming this is from a division (group) from the convention. I would like to find out more.
am

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions