Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Token & Wheat 50,400 ?

NOTE: Today I cleaned the token. Please see the photos below. Let me know what you think the 50,400 means.

I really wanted to find something old today after the keys find this morning up at the wheel tree.

So I went out after supper and dug these two out past where I found the goodies I posted yesterday.

1. 1937 D Wheat
2. Token - Unknown GOOD FOR 25 cents

It was a GOOD day but I'm pooped! ;D

Badger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Old Token & Wheat 50,400 ?

jlar said:
Hi Badger,

I have that exact token .... 50,400 ... never did find out any info on it though. Found it in New Hampshire ...

Jlar ..

It would be great to find out just what that 50,400 means. Many of these also have 50,100.

Maybe some collector on here can give us all this info?

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great find! What do you use for electrolysis ?? I had something I made many years ago from and radio cord with transformer at the plug! You know the plug cords for radios and other small electrical things! I guess it worked a little, it made bubbles and some things came off, but kind of would leave a small burn spot. I need something for these bad cave finds! I think that would work great on the bronze!
Anyway,l good luck! Keep it comming!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Dave N Japan said:
Great find! What do you use for electrolysis ??

I use those plug into the wall D.C. power supplies. Basically all you need is a direct current power supply of most any kind.

Mix baking soda into water (not salt) and make it pretty strong. The current must flow through the coin to the stainless steel spoon. The coin should bubble first.

You're right, this is the way to clean old bronze. Especially when it's in very bad condition.

Just go easy with electrolysis. Too much can be bad on the coin. It can eat away detail and weaken metal.

I use electrolysis for about 1 to 10 minutes max. Then I'll soak the coin in olive oil or mineral oil for a few weeks to a few months.

Once the coin looks good dry it out. I use hot water and a good grease cutting soap. Then make sure the coin is dry. I may soak it in alcohol and then heat it to very hot with a hair dryer or one of those hot air paint removers.

Then coat the coin (while still warm) with Renaissance Wax and polish. This will bring out all the detail and makes an old coin look great.

Never polish old coins to look bright and shiny bronze. Collectors want them to look old.

Hope this helps,

Badger

LeeC

May 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more information on these Slot Machine tokens

It would be great to find out just what that 50,400 means. Many of these also have 50,100.

Maybe some collector on here can give us all this info?

I was going through a jar of nuts and bolt from a garage sale and found a blot with a stack of these coins on it. 25 or so of the 50,400, one 50,410, one 50,100, three that are stamped "For Amusement only" on one face, and "This token has no cash or trade value" on the other side, and one with "O.D.J." on one side and "Bon Pour 1 FR. En Marchandise" on the other. If anyone has more information I would be interested.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds,, from another Michigander

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread