Old Vermont Cemetary

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
A spot that I like to swing the MD takes me by this old cemetary. This is the first "established" cemetary in the town of Topsham, Vermont.

I can only imagine the things that this man, Thomas Chamberlin, saw in his 83 years.

The oldest stone that I can find is dated 1813. There are several "rocks" that I think are head stones too.

Thanks for lookin' VPR

Attachments

• IMG_8901_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8901_1_1.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_8902_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8902_1_1.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_8890_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8890_1_1.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_8889_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8889_1_1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 569

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
"hats off"

Rest in peace.

I like to visit old cemetaries.There is a few places close to me where the owners were buried on there land.There's another place that I haven't been able to find again where a family is buried.They must have contracted a contagious disease.The dates are withing a couple years of each other.IIRC all the head stones were dated in the early 1920's.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice post VPR. I too love old cemetaries. Not every day you get to see on from colonial times. :)

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I just noticed that I posted this yesterday, March 22nd.

Look at the date on the stone :o

VPR

Isn't that ironic. :)

Those headstones have held up very well over the last 200 years. Great find VPR. 8)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Very cool. There's a small family cemetary in the woods behind my property that dates back to the early 1800s. My house was built by the same family around 1800 and most of the people buried in that cemetary lived in my house.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Dust To Dust...old cemetaries always seem to be peaceful and beautiful in sort of way. I've never detected in one, but I've detected outside the fences of one and wasn't really temped to go inside the cematary because I've got a respect for the dead and I know folks would not want some "Treasure Hunter" poking around in the place set aside for their dead family and friends. REST IN PEACE--MEANS EXACTLY THAT...REST IN PEACE!

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Beautiful....Simply beautiful.....I was about to say.....That would be kind of strange to detect in a cemetery....Folks would only wonder what the heck you're thinkin!

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txconservative said:
That would be kind of strange to detect in a cemetery....Folks would only wonder what the heck you're thinkin!

He didn't say he was detecting it.....

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
A spot that I like to swing the MD takes me by this old cemetary.

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
He didn't say he was detecting it.....

RE: I know, I was responding to ZINCLID!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread