Old virgin house gives it up.

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
I'd been eyeballing this old vacant house for the last couple months. There are survey markers all over it and it looked like it would be torn down to make way for some apartments. I looked up the owner on the county website and called him up. He said it was his mom's house and she died but there was some holdup in his plans to sell the house and land (a couple acres) to developers. He didn't want me on the property. A couple months went by... and then yesterday, I drove by and notice that there is a garage sale at the house. I went home and grabbed my detector. I went back to the house and browsed through their stuff. I located the owner that I talked to on the phone and i introduced myself. I made small talk for awhile and then hit him up for permission. This time he said yes but I would have to come back tomorrow since they were wrapping up the garage sale for the day. I agreed and left. I still had an hour or two to kill so I went and detected near a local park in the old part of town. I hit a small section of boulevard and was surprised to find my first V nickel (1908). I also found a '26s wheat and a ring that's marked "gold shell".

Today, I went to the house with the garage sale and put in about 5 hours (huge yard). It was a fun yard to hunt because almost every target was 3-4 inches or more deep with not much modern trash or clad. I found a '41s quarter, '64d dime, 45s war nickel, 17 wheats ('20, '28, '32, '35s, '35d, '39s, '39d (2), '40d (2), '41s, '45d, '46d, '50d, '52s (2), '53d), a no date buffalo nickel (my first), a 25c token for a cigar store in Sandpoint Id. (I posted better pics of the token in the tokens forum) some kind of Navy looking button, a skull ring, a marble (in the same hole as one of the wheats), a broach with some carved red material, a key and a hose nozzle. Also found 50c in clad and memorial cents.

All in all it was a good day. I still have quite a bit of ground to cover and I'm sure the owner will let me go back.

Anyway, Thanks for looking.

-Evan

Attachments

• PICT0122.JPG
    PICT0122.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 771
  • PICT0123.JPG
    PICT0123.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 776
  • PICT0125.JPG
    PICT0125.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 766
  • PICT0126.JPG
    PICT0126.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats one hell of a day in my book... excellent finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Red thing appears to be what is called Oriental Cinnabar. The ring it is in is also oriental also. (Note it could be glass do as a look like).
Token is cool.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
The one red object is carved cinnabar which could be made in China around the turn of the century. See if you can find any markings. Great digs.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not mistaken, cinnabar is toxic.. so be careful

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"cinnabar'
Its not truly cinnabar, it is a lacquer on lacquer technique, can be white, black and red which was called cinnabar due to it color and resembalace to the mineral.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures. :thumbsup:
Ed

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:thumbsup: As they say "Never Give Up" and in you case it paid off nicely! Good luck on your return trip!

Happy Hunting

Desertfox

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a really fun and profitable day. they could and probably is something more there. I love everything you found especially the button.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Phantom knows. Anyway, that is what the skull ring reminds me of.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congratulations on your persistance!! That is exactly how I got my old tear down property and found some of my best finds so far. Hit it hard and many times till it stops producing. I got over 200 coins from my property and every now and then I hit it again for a few wheaties. good luck

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nice bunch of finds! Congrats on getting permission :thumbsup:. That "v" nickel is in great condition too!

HH,
Moon

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG unclejesse67 persistence paid off ! excellent finds congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
unclejesse67

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
Thanks for all the replies everyone and for IDing that jewelry piece. I took a pic of the backs of some of the stuff. The cinnabar thing doesn't have any markings. The button is all rust on the back.

Attachments

• PICT0127.JPG
    PICT0127.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 470

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread