Old wedding/memorial ring

chuck227

Greenie
Mar 20, 2011
Sea Isle City, NJ
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Hit the local beach today and found this ring. I have never found one like this before. It was pretty covered in what looks like iron residue. A little cleaning however revealed some interesting details. It appears to have been a man's 18k wedding ring. Inscribed on the inside are initials from what I am pretty sure is a wedding. It looks like the ring had been cut and had the centerpiece added. That has three initials in some calligraphy script. You can see the edges that appear to be soldered on there. Finally, on the outside is "Died Nov. 14 1909". That date is pretty worn indicating that it was worn for a while. I think it might be someone's wedding ring that was turned into a memorial when the spouse died. It is a large size as in a man's finger. I don't think this is one that I will be sending in for melt value. You never know what you are going to find sometimes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 565
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 553
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 537
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 538
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0

bayou bandit

Feb 9, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool ring. :thumbsup: It sure cleaned up well, congrat's.

Dadsnorz

Dec 15, 2010
Looks like the story and the history of that ring outweighs the grams of gold. That is a conversation piece that will last for years. Great find!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk about finding a piece of history. I would love to know the story behind that ring.

Great find !!!

Congrats...

Brian in MA

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2: :notworthy: Absolutely gorgeous ring, it must have meant something very special to someone at one time, that is one ring I wish it could talk, I know it sounds silly, but think of all the wonderful things we could find out!!!! :read2: Thanks for sharing this lovely ring and story, you made my day!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: Red

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Wow what a cool ring, looks like you rescued it from a long lay in the ground!

F

Felinepeachy

Wow thats really cool. Obviously something romantic involved. I wonder if the person had been buried at sea?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow that is awesome!!! I sure hope you don't melt it! Welcome to TNet. I hunt down your way sometimes.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great ring...congrats.

May not be two hard to track down the owners family. You have a date of death and initials. If the person was from the local area it should be pretty easy. Once you figure out who you think it was then just ask for the initials of the person they married as confirmation.

NJ

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
:hello2: :notworthy: Absolutely gorgeous ring, it must have meant something very special to someone at one time, that is one ring I wish it could talk, I know it sounds silly, but think of all the wonderful things we could find out!!!! :read2: Thanks for sharing this lovely ring and story, you made my day!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: Red

It could be the basis of a beautiful "book worthy" story.

Picture an old man standing by the ocean. He pulls a ring out of his pocket and we hear him say: I'm sorry my dear, you know I could never afford to buy you the wedding ring you really deserved, so I've used my ring to make this for you. I know you deserve better, but maybe this will help bind us together until we meet once again. I still love you with all of my heart. And then, he tosses the ring into the waves. :crybaby2:

Or, it might have simply been lost.

Eagle

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome aboard,nice ring. :thumbsup:

faderdave

Oct 5, 2009
A great find. I have some really expensive and some dated rings but nothing as good as the one you found. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread