kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20121030_153621.jpg

1860s outpost in my area. Very few people have picked at it and I plan keep the location hidden as there are to many sleaze bags. Anyhow as you can see it was a "station" of sorts that has lots of history with it. Old powder keg bottom, multiple wagon parts, horseshoes, horse tack, some things unidentified as of yet.

Attachments

• 20121030_153636.jpg
    20121030_153636.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 20121030_153652.jpg
    20121030_153652.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 20121030_153709.jpg
    20121030_153709.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 20121030_153657.jpg
    20121030_153657.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 20121030_153644.jpg
    20121030_153644.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 2

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I see what looks like two horse shoes, a mule shoe in the middle, and a ring off a wagon wheel hub. Also looks like a key and a couple of hand made nuts, and next to them appears to be a horse shoe nail. The rest of it can't tell much from the pictures, but I'll say this, I'd love to hunting that site with you, that's my favorite kind of things to find. It's all junk, but classier junk than pull tabs and can slaw.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree BosnMate, digging classier junk is more fun then digging the all to common coins.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice examples of nineteenth century America. I noticed some pieces from a wagon wheel. Also, that curved handle which appears to be one part of a set of pliars handles may actually be a handle from a bullet mold.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff. Enjoy your spot. When you do find any coins they will have some years to them.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I see what looks like two horse shoes, a mule shoe in the middle, and a ring off a wagon wheel hub. Also looks like a key and a couple of hand made nuts, and next to them appears to be a horse shoe nail. The rest of it can't tell much from the pictures, but I'll say this, I'd love to hunting that site with you, that's my favorite kind of things to find. It's all junk, but classier junk than pull tabs and can slaw.

One man's junk is another man's treasure ... Man .. I would love to be right there, too! Have a great time digging that spot!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice examples of nineteenth century America. I noticed some pieces from a wagon wheel. Also, that curved handle which appears to be one part of a set of pliars handles may actually be a handle from a bullet mold.
Yeah, I see it, looks like a bullet mold handle, cool.

OP
OP
kenpodetector

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
day two at site..

Weather was turning bad so figured i had better get out there again.. I have NO idea what this was dug it for a hour! Its all metal who knows maybe some old car part from 1920s.... heavy.. thought it was some sort of strong box at first haha..

Also 1853 Half Dime... in pretty good shape needs to be cleaned... Some other trinkets still in my backpack.. Spoon handle missing spoon end.. might be silver... will post more pictures later..

And thanks for the Id on the bullet mold handle..having some fun that's for sure.

Attachments

• halfdime.jpg
    halfdime.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 148
  • whatsit.jpg
    whatsit.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 128
  • whatsit2.jpg
    whatsit2.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 132

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a really cool piece of marked bar lead as well.I initially thought you had half a mold(would go with the lead strip/bar)but I am not seein it ......perhaps a better angle of it?

OP
OP
kenpodetector

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a really cool piece of marked bar lead as well.I initially thought you had half a mold(would go with the lead strip/bar)but I am not seein it ......perhaps a better angle of it?

Hey you are right on the bar lead.. Makes total sense for this place. I will get some different angled pictures of the item in question..

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks a lot like my plantation finds from the same time period. I wonder about the mule shoe vs. horseshoe designation. I think that the cleats on the horseshoe lend it to possibly be a mule shoe as well. Like you, I found a narrow one, and horseshoe looking one. Seems that a Horse bred with a donkey would end up with hooves of all varieties, according the the genetics the particular mule ended up with. Not just ones looking like a donkey hoof.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks a lot like my plantation finds from the same time period. I wonder about the mule shoe vs. horseshoe designation. I think that the cleats on the horseshoe lend it to possibly be a mule shoe as well. Like you, I found a narrow one, and horseshoe looking one. Seems that a Horse bred with a donkey would end up with hooves of all varieties, according the the genetics the particular mule ended up with. Not just ones looking like a donkey hoof.

Horses have different shaped feet front and back, the front are more rounded the rear more pointed, mules have feet more like a donkey, straight sides front and back. I've shod horses and mules for years, and have never seen a mule with a different shaped foot. Seems like a horse bred with a donkey comes up with the same kind of foot, along with the same long ears and more intelligence.

OP
OP
kenpodetector

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks.. Actually I am pretty familar with shoes. The shoes with the bars usually were used for draft type horses in order to be able the help pull heavier load but that was a pretty small shoe. It does not mean it was not for a horse it could of been. Mule's were used alot because of the pulling power and endurance. Donkeys were terrible for anything but a one man show and a back on them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

ken, as a fellow hunter of "western outposts" (down here in CA) I can only say this: You have a LOT of patience to be digging all those iron targets. (large square nails, cast iron, etc...). I'd have been studiously rejecting that stuff, and going straight for the conductive targets :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ken, as a fellow hunter of "western outposts" (down here in CA) I can only say this: You have a LOT of patience to be digging all those iron targets. (large square nails, cast iron, etc...). I'd have been studiously rejecting that stuff, and going straight for the conductive targets :)

..........and leaving lots of goodies for those who have "patience"......

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those type of goodies are things I live for. I'd dig that spot until my diggings could be seen from high flying Airliners. Keep on diggin' pardner.

OP
OP
kenpodetector

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those type of goodies are things I live for. I'd dig that spot until my diggings could be seen from high flying Airliners. Keep on diggin' pardner.

Yes I agree the more "conductive targets" are worth more in money value but the old rusty iron tools are also our history and it should be preserved. I have a nice large award case that most of this will go in and marked with approx year location and where it was found. Along with the history of the site..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread