Old Woods Still Producing - 1774 Spanish Silver 1/2 Reale

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
After hitting these woods scores of times in the past year, I thought they were hunted out. Well I was wrong and the old adage about a place never being totally hunted out holds true. My game plan for today was to hit a small area that I had searched a couple of times before; but one I had not pounded, since it never produced any keepers, and to search slow and deliberate. Almost immediatley the slow search paid off with a 19th century flat button. Then a short time later, a decent signal at 5 inches that was bouncing around between screwtop and penny/dime turned out to be a nice 1774 Spanish silver half reale. Though I pride myself on my pinpointing abilities and that I always cut a wide plug, so as not to damage the target with my 26" garden shovel, It appears I did nick the coin. I'm a little baffled though, because there are several scratches on the coin (indicating multiply hits with the shovel) and it only took two motions to recover the coin, cutting the plug and then removing some dirt from the hole. That would be pretty bad if I struck the coin both times. Anyway, stuff happens and I finished the hunt a little later on with another 19th century flat button. Below is a list of keepers (including today's) I've found there. Just about all these finds have been posted on the forum

1711 Spanish Seisenio Copper Coin
1738 King George II Colonial Copper
1771 Spanish 1 Reale (Extremely worn, though date is visible)
1774 Spanish 1/2 Reale
1778 Spanish 1 Reale
1781 Spanish 1/2 Reale (Converted to a button)
1780s Nova Constellatio Copper
1787 Massachusetts One Cent Copper
1803 Kettle Replica or Game Marker Coin
1812 Classic Head Large Cent
1821 Matron Head Large Cent
1824 Matron Head Large Cent
1829 Capped Bust Half Dime
1837 Hard Times Token (Found By Rob)
1841 Seated Liberty Dime
1842 Braided Hair Large Cent
1852 Silver Three Cents Piece
1863 Indian Head Penny
1864 Counterfeit California Gold Dollar Coin
1894 Barber Quarter
1897 Barber Dime
1902 Barber Dime
1905-S Barber Dime
1920 Buffalo Nickel
1920 Walking Liberty Half Dollar (Found By Rob)
1937 Mercury Dime
1952 Washington Quarter
Four or Five Other Indian Head Pennies (Can't Remember The Dates) And A Few Wheat Cents.

Also In The Keeper Case:
Very Worn Colonial Copper Probably William III (1650-1702)
Very Corroded King George II Colonial Copper
War Of 1812 Light Artillery 1st Regiment Button
C1812 US Navy Button In Extremely Fine Condiiton (Found By Rob)
C1820-1830 US Navy Button In Extremely Fine Condition
C1900 Admiral Dewey "Welcome Our Hero" Souvenir Medal
C1920 Knights Templar Medal From Syracuse New York
C1937 Speed Gibson's Flying Police Tin Badge (Radio Premium Missing Back Pin)

Attachments

• reale.jpg
    reale.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 991
  • reale2a.jpg
    reale2a.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 988
  • reale3.jpg
    reale3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 989
  • reale5.jpg
    reale5.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Old Woods Still Producing - 1770s Spanish Silver 1/2 Reale

Looks like 1774; nice find! Way better shape than mine ;)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

1774, indeed! It is much better than my half reale this year. That is a same you murdered him! :D Great find, dude!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Wow, super old coin! Pretty good shape for being that old.

SouthLand

Greenie
Jun 9, 2007
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X

I'm reale'ing from your discovery. (crickets chirp in background)

My lack of humor is not to be underestimated.

Seriously though, very nice finds! I suspect I'll have to make some northern friends who are in the know if I ever hope to have a chance at a coins like that.

HH'ing.

Jeff

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That reale is an awesome coin. WTG. I traditionally hunt in a very methodical way. It's the only way to really see what's in an area.

Bob

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Congratulations. I assumed there was probably more where you were hunting, and that still may be true, although what's left, if anything, will be challenging to find, demanding patience and, if you will, an obsessive drive to go over every inch of ground, digging all equivocal signals. Daunting, yes, but if you've got the time and the inclination, well...why not! By the way, since you live so close to Long Island beaches, have you ever tried your luck at the shore? As much as I enjoy inland hunting, I'd give my eyeteeth to live nearer to a good Atlantic beach and hunt the hell out of it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible list of finds. I can only dream of finding coins that old.
A BIG "Congrats" to you.
Keep it up,
MM

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old woods are a goldmine Fisher.

Very very nice finds.--Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, never found an old spanish coin :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Another great old coin, well done and congrats! Those scratches don't look like they are from your huge shovel so maybe they were already there. Great find!! Congrats and thanks for sharing. Keep em coming, good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boobydoo said:
Another great old coin, well done and congrats! Those scratches don't look like they are from your huge shovel so maybe they were already there. BDoo

I agree, they appear to be old scratches, not done by you. I am glad to see you wrote your post the way you did, that is how I hunt the old homesteads, especially ones that have been pounded by me or someone else. Going slow does produce more, I have no doubt about that.

Don

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Don in SJ said:
Boobydoo said:
Another great old coin, well done and congrats! Those scratches don't look like they are from your huge shovel so maybe they were already there. BDoo

I agree, they appear to be old scratches, not done by you. I am glad to see you wrote your post the way you did, that is how I hunt the old homesteads, especially ones that have been pounded by me or someone else. Going slow does produce more, I have no doubt about that.

Don

Thanks guys, though I now think I am definitely the cause of the larger scratch. Below is a picture of the coin at a different angle and the deep incised groove of the scratch is shining like its a new cut. I don't think an old cut would shine as bright. Either way I very happy with the coin and it reminds me to be more careful when recovering the object.

Attachments

• reale4.jpg
    reale4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 699
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
silverfinder said:
Congratulations. I assumed there was probably more where you were hunting, and that still may be true, although what's left, if anything, will be challenging to find, demanding patience and, if you will, an obsessive drive to go over every inch of ground, digging all equivocal signals. Daunting, yes, but if you've got the time and the inclination, well...why not! By the way, since you live so close to Long Island beaches, have you ever tried your luck at the shore? As much as I enjoy inland hunting, I'd give my eyeteeth to live nearer to a good Atlantic beach and hunt the hell out of it.

Hi Silverfinder,

Though I would certainly like to find some gold rings and jewelry on the beach, my main focus is old relics and coins, especially from Colonial Times.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's an amazing collection of historical coins. Walking into those woods must be like stepping back in time. It must be strange to emerge from them with a coin that old in your pocket, and then drive home through modern day traffic.

Scratches happen.

Congratulations!

Ridley

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar
OK where exactly are these woods? lol just kidding ,,, very nice, gives me encouragement as I try to find some areas left on long island....... its not easy.

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hey fish, how about leaving some coins for the rest of us that live on Long Island.
Great finds, no where else is anyone finding quality finds like yours.
Yesturday I was lucky enough to pull a no date SLQ and a 1918 Walking lady half out of the same plug, a first for me ( two silvers in one plug ) I remember when you and I spoke in your store about the things we've found, you have a really nice collection. That bad boy gold coin is something. Are you still using that MXT? you need to upgrade to an Explorer 11. Keep up the good work.
CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread