Old workers Shack

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Tried that dry land stuff today, or should I say MUD PIT guarded.
by Millions of hungry skeeters.
Got A 1883 "V" nickle ( soaking in oil right now).? ?A pinapple harvesting knife.
And a cloth bag with these three goodies inside.
index.php

and a couple dozen old soda bottles.-
You Like?

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:o Hay Gold Pinger Great finds looks like you should keep your feet dry more often.Keep it coming by land or sea. HH

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Beautiful silver dollars! The Morgan looks to be uncirculated.
Congratulations.
BRD

OP
OP
G

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
BRD said:
Beautiful silver dollars!? The Morgan looks to be uncirculated.
Congratulations.
BRD
You can't see the scratches dents and gouges in the scan. I would say barely circulated.
The Morgan was the first I've seen with "O" mint mark.
I showed them to a local coin dealer and he said all the coins were quite common.
Offered to buy the Morgan for $4.50 and the peace dollars for $2.00 each.
I told him I may have fallen off the turnip truck, but that was 60 years ago.
His finall offer as I was leaving, $10.00 for all three.
Some nerve HuH?

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Piinger,
Midus is correct. You were basically offered less than bulk silver price for the dollars. You should have told the dealer that if he wants to rob you, it would make you feel better if he used a gun! ( chuckle, chuckle).
Good luck,
BRD

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Very nice finds!! What kind of oil do you soak your coins in and for how long? Does this clean them up pretty good?

OP
OP
G

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
richg said:
Very nice finds!! What kind of oil do you soak your coins in and for how long? Does this clean them up pretty good?
I'm using Grapeseed oil on that nickle.
As I normaly only hunt underwater I never had the need to clean dirt encrusted coin.
I'll post a pic when it's cleaned and we'll see how it comes out

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealers typically pay 40% of value. I got a great deal at a coin show the other day on a Redfield Hoard silver dollar some guy wanted to sell. The dealer offer him $30. He decided to walk away and as he was leaving I told him I would give him $40 for it on the spot. He looked at the coin, the dealer looked at me and I handed him the $40.
Went home and looked up this coin in MS 66 (which it was marked). It was $125 without the Redfield Hoard Case which will add some more value to it since these are getting scarce too.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome finds, Gold_pinger! I wouldn't have the heart to sell those coins for any price, if I had found them. If you hang on to them, you can -always- change your mind and sell them later. But if you sell them, and later wish you hadn't, you'll never get them back. Of course, checking on their value is prudent, but make a list of what you found and ask the coin dealer what he'd -sell- them for! I bet you get a different story!

Looking forward to seeing that nickel!

OP
OP
G

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
I was not thinking of ever selling them. Just wanted to get an idea of the value.
The Morgan appears to have had a defect in the die or blank on the back side.
And I never saw an "O" for a mint mark before.
One thing I did learn, the local coin dealer is a crook!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread