New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was knocking on doors yesterday trying to get permission to hunt, had just talked to a father(son was owner,in house sick with flu) of a brick house with 1781 in the brickwork. He of course said the place has been bombarded with metal detectors and I would have to stop back to talk to son. So down the road I went for back up plan of a trashy area of the Delaware Bay beach. I was detecting along the beach finding trash and garbage, empy holes from other detectors with neat little piles of iron, broken bottles, and aluminum siding. Then I walked up on this.
IMG_20140115_131716.jpg IMG_20140115_131751.jpg
With the door nowhere in sight and I was getting ready to leave anyhow, I just took a couple of pix and left.

Upvote 9

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odd place for a safe to be. too bad it wasn't full of gold coins. looks to date to about 1900

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bay at this spot, is reclaiming the beach, there are houses that have already fallen. I believe someone brought that safe (theives) and opened it on the beach. It's just a theory, other theory would be it came from one of the houses and someone opened it there. I didn't even bother to look for the door, I could tell someone had already been detecting, and I had not even found any modern coins. So I said to myself, WTF, and off I went.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That is pretty interesting. Got to wonder why it was put there.

The Boots

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad the door was missing. Cleaned up that would of been awesome.

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting! Even without the door I think someone would like it their store as a display piece....I would think someone would buy it.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty interesting. Got to wonder why it was put there.
It's all part of the allure of Metal detecting/treasure hunting that I like so much. "The mystery"

Did you see Geraldo Rivera hanging around?
LMBO!
I think he was the one that had been there detecting before me, leaving all the neat little piles of scrap metal/garbage and trash.

Too bad the door was missing. Cleaned up that would of been awesome.
I don't know for sure, but I was told a safe like that weighs approximately 500 pounds. It was down the beach some and would take quite the off-road vehicle just to get to it. Then the question of lifting it to load into said vehicle. I do know it cost a pretty penny to restore these safes, sometimes the restoration cost more then the actual value of the safe. I bet the door is close by, I didn't even bother to look for it, or even pull the contents out of the water inside the safe.
Still interesting finding an old safe like that. 15-20 years ago I would have gotten that thing home, one way or another. I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier then fifty pounds, Dr's restrictions. I don't mess with that rule, not worth the chance.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! Too bad it's not "full" that would be a find! Just as long as a camera crew doesn't just pop up and start filming!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone dug it up a few years ahead of you and did very well - hehe
I found one on the riverbank just like this - made me wonder "what if"....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Safes are cool but nearly always empty. I used to manage a salvage yard and we found one in the trunk of a car one time. Spent about 2 hours getting it open only to find that there was nothing inside. Too bad we pretty much ruined it getting the door off.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,
That safe is AWESOME! Too bad it couldn't be saved, but I can imagine it would not be an easy task.
Are you across the bay from Lewes? I used to detect a beach up there in Lewes when my Mom lived in Rehobeth Beach. Never found much but clad though.
Great post,
Doug

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey treblehunter you just motivated me to check out large iron signals again--and that's after digging up a chest freezer! Hey, this could have been a landowners cache at one time. I'd move that sucker aside and check for stuff that might have been dropped in the dark--anything's possible. DE side of the bay. Great area for goodies. If I'm ever back east coast side again I'd like to search for the U-boats that got nailed by then Ft. Miles, now Cape Henlopen Park.

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to knock the crust off and use it as a display piece.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting indeed ..Cool photo
Thanks

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safes are cool but nearly always empty. I used to manage a salvage yard and we found one in the trunk of a car one time. Spent about 2 hours getting it open only to find that there was nothing inside. Too bad we pretty much ruined it getting the door off.

I reckon it was put in the car to add weight, but I would have opened it too cause you "Just never know"

p.s. Your Avatar SCARES me.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,
That safe is AWESOME! Too bad it couldn't be saved, but I can imagine it would not be an easy task.
Are you across the bay from Lewes? I used to detect a beach up there in Lewes when my Mom lived in Rehobeth Beach. Never found much but clad though.
Great post,
Doug
Yeah it is across the bay from Lewes, in a way I wish I could salvage it, but I know my limitations, funny, I took my son today with me to kill some time and show him the safe. He is 20 years old and 6' 3" tall, very strong. He could not budge it. The tide was up, wind was about 40 mph and it was very cold. I wanted to bottle hunt also, trip before I seen pieces of old bottles, but no keepers. I'll have to check the tides next week and make a trip down. Later we stopped at an old wooded area we used to deer hunt together, took a walk back there and I found an old "Nugrape" soda bottle. I have to research it now and clean it up more.

Thank you everyone for looking and commenting on my thread, HH.
Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread