Older "NEW" Garrett Master Hunter BFO... opinions?

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010
Older "NEW" Garrett Master Hunter BFO... opinions?

Found this in the attic of a house I bought...nearly new...several of the coils were still in factory boxes unopened...it needed a small repair (I broke the battery connection on one of the 3 batteries) but now she is singing...whats an older machine like this good for? Should I sell it and buy a modern machine? I've always wanted to "detect"...what do I need to get started? Tools, tips?

Attachments

• DSCF0013resized.jpg
    DSCF0013resized.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 6,073
  • DSCF0013resized.jpg
    DSCF0013resized.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,378
Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Got it free...opinions?

Is it a Treasure Hunter BFO Discriminator ? Looks like one from the general design but the last I used back in 77 or 78 had the three large knobs at the other end of the control box to yours.

A collector would love it especially with that range of coils.

Crystal controlled "Zero Drift" stability. Dual circuit stock coil. Fully faraday shielded. Way ahead of the BFO's most people think of.

They were claimed to be the most versatile detector in the industry as, with a good range of coils (which you have), you could detect for coins, prospect, do metal/mineral I.D., hoard hunt etc. Main problem was lack of depth especially in more mineralised ground. Also the larger coils sensitivity to small items dropped off quite rapidly. From twelve inches up only large coins could be picked up so the 12 inch+ and 13 x24 were really for cache hunting.

Its really a collectors item. If you want to detect today there's lots of lighter/deeper/easier to use machines. Be interesting to see how it performs though.

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010

I'm going to give it a whirl today and tomorrow...with all of the different coils I may just keep it and buy an ACE 250 as well...everyone seems to agree that an ACE 250 is a good starter machine...

Any old timers here ever used one of these?

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a real beauty. I'll give you $10.00 more than you paid for it! :icon_pirat: Plus I'll even pay for shippipng!! :wink:

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010

ThTx said:
That's a real beauty. I'll give you $10.00 more than you paid for it! :icon_pirat: Plus I'll even pay for shippipng!! :wink:

LOL...NO pretty sure I'm keeping it...gonna bust my MD cherry later today and tomorrow...will def be getting a better machine for other stuff (beach combing)...

Beach

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Older "NEW" Garrett Master Hunter BFO... opinions?

Can't blame you. That's a keeper for sure!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

That would be circa early to mid 1970s. Garrett was amongst the last to still be manufacturing BFOs (as there were still some people who preferred them, for whatever reason), while most other manufacturers were doing exclusively TRs, and VLF all-metal, etc.... by then.

They lost popularity for a reason, which UK Brian alludes to: lack of depth and sensitivity for coin hunting purposes, and performance dropped off in mineralized ground. For example, if your beach is mineralized salt, this may perform very poorly there.

Those old BFOs were, by their nature, good for cache hunting (jar and hubcab sized items). Because by their very nature, they lacked sensitivty to smaller items (particularly when you put the bigger coils on), yet still sang out for the larger sized items. Perfect for scanning walls and such, where you don't want to hear individual nails, wires, etc... Ie.: sort of like a defacto 2-box unit, when you put those larger coils on.

But for all other hunting, you have a dinasour on your hands. Probably not much market as a vintage collectible either, as it's not old enough for that.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When I was a kid I used to drool over that detector. Some 70's era Whites' and Garrett's DO sell for up to 200-300.00 on ebay, but it depends on the model and the condition. Looks like you've got the whole package there and in beautiful shape! A pretty rare find. Unfortunately, as Tom said, they didn't do very well in mineralized soil. Also, if it's one of the earlier, non discriminating models, you'll be digging a lot of trash with it. Once you get the Ace 250 you'll never use the old Garrett again. I would keep it clean and sell it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CAPTBEACH:
I'm having a good laugh at the responses you've gotten so far. You have found a fantastic machine package that would serve you very well IF you learn to use it. There are 8 coils in your photo. Those dual coils were used to hunt with the larger; pinpoint with the smaller, inside one. Those 2 reeeeeal small coils on the right end were sharp shooter coils for working close to metal objects such as fence posts, playground equipment, etc. Yes, those large coils, especially the 2 on the left end, were for cache hunting as well as gold and silver VEINS. Did you get that?? VEINS. In addition, they can detect old trash pits and outhouse pits that have at least a little bit of metal thrown in.
Some have said you'll have trouble searching mineralized soil. Bulls---. You tune the machine to the mineral side and when a metallic item is scanned, the sound will drop out or null; even coins.
Were I you, and just HAD to sell that package, I would not let it go for less that $350 plus shipping. And, do NOT piece out the items. If you decide to sell, sell the package as a whole. Don't let someone talk you into selling one of the coils separately. I have a basic Garrett's BFO that I bought about 3 months ago off of eBay that came with 2 dual coils that I wish had come with at least ONE of those large coils. Those coils are not available anymore except from private individuals.
If you decide to put this package on eBay, please PM me and let me know because I'll certainly bid on it. As I've already stated, were I YOU, I would not sell it. I would use it for it's specialized uses. Charles Garrett, himself, used those machines with the larger coils, for searching abandoned gold and silver mines for veins "hiding" in the walls, floors, and ceilings of the tunnels. Searching for veins of COPPER and lead would also fit the use. There's a "lost" copper vein running just under the surface of the ground in a certain area of Oklahoma that would fit the bill for this equipment.
Karl von Mueller wrote a book specifically for this machine. It's title is Master Hunters Manual , published by RAM Publishing (owned by Garrett). He did this at the request of Charles Garrett because Garrett knew KVM would detail everything, good and bad, about that machine. I have a copy of that book, and before you ask, nope, not for sale. ;D
I've given you just a couple of different uses for this equipment and just thought of another. Those large coils have been used in looking for tunnels and mines from the surface of the ground. If the detector is adjusted to the mineral side, the tone will drop out or null when the coil is passed over the void of a mine / tunnel.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I still have my old Garrett BFO from the early 70's. It'll hit a dime at about 3&1/2" with the stock five inch coil. I might be persuaded to part with it for the right price. :thumbsup:

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garret at attic

Found this in the attic of a house I bought...nearly new...several of the coils were still in factory boxes unopened...it needed a small repair (I broke the battery connection on one of the 3 batteries) but now she is singing...whats an older machine like this good for? Should I sell it and buy a modern machine? I've always wanted to "detect"...what do I need to get started? Tools, tips?

hi, i know is been a very while since you post this, but i love the coils that this detector comes with, if you ever want to sell the whole kit let me know i will give it a try. my email is [email protected] thank you

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, i know is been a very while since you post this, but i love the coils that this detector comes with, if you ever want to sell the whole kit let me know i will give it a try. Thank you.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CAPTBEACH:
I'm having a good laugh at the responses you've gotten so far. You have found a fantastic machine package that would serve you very well IF you learn to use it. There are 8 coils in your photo. Those dual coils were used to hunt with the larger; pinpoint with the smaller, inside one. Those 2 reeeeeal small coils on the right end were sharp shooter coils for working close to metal objects such as fence posts, playground equipment, etc. Yes, those large coils, especially the 2 on the left end, were for cache hunting as well as gold and silver VEINS. Did you get that?? VEINS. In addition, they can detect old trash pits and outhouse pits that have at least a little bit of metal thrown in.
Some have said you'll have trouble searching mineralized soil. Bulls---. You tune the machine to the mineral side and when a metallic item is scanned, the sound will drop out or null; even coins.
Were I you, and just HAD to sell that package, I would not let it go for less that $350 plus shipping. And, do NOT piece out the items. If you decide to sell, sell the package as a whole. Don't let someone talk you into selling one of the coils separately. I have a basic Garrett's BFO that I bought about 3 months ago off of eBay that came with 2 dual coils that I wish had come with at least ONE of those large coils. Those coils are not available anymore except from private individuals.
If you decide to put this package on eBay, please PM me and let me know because I'll certainly bid on it. As I've already stated, were I YOU, I would not sell it. I would use it for it's specialized uses. Charles Garrett, himself, used those machines with the larger coils, for searching abandoned gold and silver mines for veins "hiding" in the walls, floors, and ceilings of the tunnels. Searching for veins of COPPER and lead would also fit the use. There's a "lost" copper vein running just under the surface of the ground in a certain area of Oklahoma that would fit the bill for this equipment.
Karl von Mueller wrote a book specifically for this machine. It's title is Master Hunters Manual , published by RAM Publishing (owned by Garrett). He did this at the request of Charles Garrett because Garrett knew KVM would detail everything, good and bad, about that machine. I have a copy of that book, and before you ask, nope, not for sale. ;D
I've given you just a couple of different uses for this equipment and just thought of another. Those large coils have been used in looking for tunnels and mines from the surface of the ground. If the detector is adjusted to the mineral side, the tone will drop out or null when the coil is passed over the void of a mine / tunnel.
I just want to thank you for those lines than you wrote, you have not idea how much i will get out of this one, i like the information on the book you mention here,but most of it i like the lower part of this replay, because that information can be used on my two box metal detector, im working hard to get every possible advantage of this 2 box unit and just got a great idea from you, thanks again. making my notes now, lol :icon_thumright:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just bought a Garrett Ace for the wife. I have had it out and wow. Its so easy to use. I would advise watching all the you tube videos on it also. But I urge you to waste no time in buying an ACE. They are FUN to use , they are so easy

What you have in the photo is a collector piece. Or what you would call a " wall hanger " I had one like that but it was about 3 generations further along. It was the ADS Deepseeker and quite good machine for the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread