Older whites purple surfmaster.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Hopefully someone can help me. I just bought a Surf Pi purple surfmaster on eBay and it’s in great condition but when I test it on a quarter I can only get 4-5 inches on an air test in the house. I just watched a video of a guy air testing in his house with his surf Pi pro 950 and he was getting like 10 -12 inches air testing. I have it on factory pre set points and still cannot hear a change in tone better than 5 inches. I hope I don’t have to send it in to get fixed. I don’t know if this is just normal depth for this model or should I be getting more? I know air tests are not true in depth capabilities even my AT pro with the small coil gets 8-9 inches on a nickel. Is there some way I can put more volts into the PI to get more depth or something else I can do?

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
While waiting on a member(s) to pipe in - You might consider posting your question on BRANDS > WHITE'S for more exposure...

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Isn’t that how you get into the Whites forum?, by going into brands first then clicking on Whites?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inside a building is a bad place to test detector for depth, and air tests are not very reliable.

Build a test garden outside or use a 5 gallon bucket with slots cut at different depths. Use paint sticks with coins glued to stick and insert into the bucket at different depths be sure and remove metal handle with rope.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Inside a building is a bad place to test detector for depth, and air tests are not very reliable.

Build a test garden outside or use a 5 gallon bucket with slots cut at different depths. Use paint sticks with coins glued to stick and insert into the bucket at different depths be sure and remove metal handle with rope.
Yeah I think when the snow melts I will do more testing outside. I’ve read PI’s don’t air test well as they are like an antenna. I just thought because my Deus gets ten inches on a nickel with the 9” coil I would think my PI would get that for sure but I guess EMI impacts depth more on a PI. I hope it’s just because of that and not the coil. Much appreciated Thanks!

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah I think when the snow melts I will do more testing outside. I’ve read PI’s don’t air test well as they are like an antenna. I just thought because my Deus gets ten inches on a nickel with the 9” coil I would think my PI would get that for sure but I guess EMI impacts depth more on a PI. I hope it’s just because of that and not the coil. Much appreciated Thanks!
If anyone has a whites purple surfmaster PI, could you do an air test and let me know what depth you get on a quarter, dime, or gold ring. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions