Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all,
Today was an awesome day all the way around. I met up with DetectingFreak and headed out. The weather was awesome and so were the finds. DF brought me to his uncles house which was built when Washington was still a territory. The targets were there for sure but so was the loads of iron. By choosing carefully we both managed a couple keepers. I got a '57 wheat and this huge copper. I had not assumed the signal the copper gave off was a coin. I thought it was a pop can or other junk and was diggin it to see what might be near it that I couldn't hear. I got down to about 7.5 inches and could just make out the edge of the target. I though it was another washer or plumbing piece. Upon closer inspection I realized I had one heck of a keeper. DF had already had a couple keepers and this put me back in the running. Luck in the hunt.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

A big thanks to Ironpatch for identifying the coin for me.

Attachments

• UPdigs .JPG
    UPdigs .JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 813
  • UPdigs  (4).JPG
    UPdigs (4).JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 865
  • UPdigs  (6).JPG
    UPdigs (6).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 867
  • UPdigs  (2).JPG
    UPdigs (2).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 800
  • UPdigs  (3).JPG
    UPdigs (3).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 793
  • UPdigs  (5).JPG
    UPdigs (5).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 819
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Oldest coin milestone need help to identify

juju said:
daytondigger said:
Congratulations on the cartwheel, I'm sure you would have never expected to find one. :thumbsup:
Doesn't fit the dates for anything in this state, so was a huge surprise.
JuJu

Cool find! I was curious about when the first settlers reached Washington State, and here is a bot about what Wikipedia has:

The first European record of a landing on the Washington coast was by Spanish Captain Don Bruno de Heceta in 1775, on board the Santiago, part of a two-ship flotilla with the Sonora. They claimed all the coastal lands up to Prince William Sound in the north for Spain as part of their claimed rights under the Treaty of Tordesillas, which they maintained made the Pacific a "Spanish lake" and all its shores part of the Spanish Empire.

In 1778, British explorer Captain James Cook sighted Cape Flattery, at the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, but the straits would not be explored until 1789, by Captain Charles W. Barkley. Further explorations of the straits were performed by Spanish explorers Manuel Quimper in 1790 and Francisco de Eliza in 1791, then by British Captain George Vancouver in 1792.

The British-Spanish Nootka Convention of 1790 ended Spanish claims of exclusivity and opened the Northwest Coast to explorers and traders from other nations, most notably Britain and Russia as well as the fledgling United States. American captain Robert Gray (for whom Grays Harbor County is named) then discovered the mouth of the Columbia River. He named the river after his ship, the Columbia. Beginning in 1792, Gray established trade in sea otter pelts. The Lewis and Clark Expedition entered the state on October 10, 1805.

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_state

Congratulations!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey the British where everyehere to just like the Spainish guy. I found a few colonial coins here in IA. Nice coin WTG

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find, Juju! :icon_pirat: And in WASHINGTON! :o WoW! That was some great info too, Neil! 8)

You two are making some great finds! Way to go!!

Nana :)

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:
Thanks Neil. I should have remembered all that but didn't, so the refresher course was great.
Luck in the hunt.
JuJu

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

juju said:
JerDfx said:
Awesome old coin find.

I think I may have dug a similar coin this yr. It is so worn down though. This one you posted made me realize what I may have found. These are very large and thick right. I'll have to look the one I have over again.

HH Jer
You ain't kiddin. This thing is heavy at 25.8 grams. Largest copper I have ever dug.
JuJu

Should be 28.3495231g (1oz) as at the time 1 oz of copper was worth 1 penny (trying to follow the silver standard ethos but in copper). The 2 pence was 2oz. They were unpopular for obvious reasons like when you dropped one on your open toed sandals (therefore it was the only year they were made). They were often used as kitchen weights in later years. 1 other fact is they were the first British steam pressed coins (Boulton & Watt, Soho Birmingham.)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! We find some of them in England every once in a while, they are quite scarce, I guess because of their size most have been already found! They are heavy and large for sure! The only ones around here (Holland) that are larger are a few coins from Sweden, we find those too here, they are also enormous! Forgot what the name of that coin is, also copper.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
juju said:
JerDfx said:
Awesome old coin find.

I think I may have dug a similar coin this yr. It is so worn down though. This one you posted made me realize what I may have found. These are very large and thick right. I'll have to look the one I have over again.

HH Jer
You ain't kiddin. This thing is heavy at 25.8 grams. Largest copper I have ever dug.
JuJu

Should be 28.3495231g (1oz) as at the time 1 oz of copper was worth 1 penny (trying to follow the silver standard ethos but in copper). The 2 pence was 2oz. They were unpopular for obvious reasons like when you dropped one on your open toed sandals (therefore it was the only year they were made). They were often used as kitchen weights in later years. 1 other fact is they were the first British steam pressed coins (Boulton & Watt, Soho Birmingham.)

I just put one on the scale and my result was closer to his. I'm guessing they vary.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
juju said:
JerDfx said:
Awesome old coin find.

HH Jer
JuJu

I just put one on the scale and my result was closer to his. I'm guessing they vary.

Yeah, mine was just short of 28g. They do vary based on wear etc..

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lasttoknow (Tim) said:
Fantastic find Juju. It may have been a part of someones collection dropped by? Who knows when it was lost.
;D
I don't know who dropped it but it mine now.LOL
JuJu

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
That's a coin on my wishlist. I'm from Pa. and still havent found one and you are from Washington state. You must be deadly with a detector my friend. ;D
Chris

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find for the Tacoma area, a place that is very special for me and the wife from many years ago! (62nd MAW) The Cartwheels are occasionally found, evidently not the most popular coin to lug around with the size and weight. I have never found one, but my son got one earlier this year, in rather corroded condition.
When we find coins with a date, you must consider the wear factor and even if it did not sit in someone's cigar box for a couple decades, the wear on that probably indicated 20-40 years at least, perhaps more. Coins like that could have been used well into the mid 1800's, so finding one in Washington State is not out of the question at all.

Don

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don in SJ said:
Great find for the Tacoma area, a place that is very special for me and the wife from many years ago! (62nd MAW) The Cartwheels are occasionally found, evidently not the most popular coin to lug around with the size and weight. I have never found one, but my son got one earlier this year, in rather corroded condition.
When we find coins with a date, you must consider the wear factor and even if it did not sit in someone's cigar box for a couple decades, the wear on that probably indicated 20-40 years at least, perhaps more. Coins like that could have been used well into the mid 1800's, so finding one in Washington State is not out of the question at all.

Don
Thanks for the comment. Even though I have found many valuables with my machine including lots of gold and diamonds. I consider this to be one of my better finds. I will be just outside Evans, Georgia for the winter and am looking forward to the opportunity to hunt the east coast. Washington is fairly young as far as the states go, so older coins are a lot tougher to come by. I figure I have a bit of a better chance on the east coast and can't wait. I leave monday morning and plan on hunting across country for the 4th time this year. Wish me luck.
JuJu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread