Oldest Coin to Date

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vino took me up on his challenge to keep his heater going by inviting me to one of his honey holes downtown. After an hour of so of pulling clad, I got on the board with a small button. Half hour later, I decided to dig an iffy signal, 6 inches deep, under a root. Out popped this beauty, the oldest coin I have ever found, a King George I, dated 1721! The obverse was plain as day, the reverse took some tooth picking, but it turned out beautiful. I love the off center strike, it adds character.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445033340.638788.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445033396.415190.jpg

Believe it or not, Vino is extremely modest. He had several awesome finds too, which he said he wasn't going to post, but I am calling him out. Post your finds Vino. They are spectacular as well.

After leaving this site, Vino took me to a spot closer to home. I hunted for another hour or so alone, as Vino had to run home to cut the grass. I bet he wished he had stayed after I pulled these both out of the same hole:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445033703.086428.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445033719.443924.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445033740.555203.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445033752.642644.jpg

An 1895 O Barber half! The second item is The King's Medal which is missing the loop, circa 1910, given to school children in London for perfect attendance in a school year. The back says: Awarded London County Council for Attendance Conduct and Industry During the Year. It is inscribed E. COHEN on the rim. Your turn Vino.

Upvote 24

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sleuth, Georgie told me all about this beautiful early copper. He wasn't kidding. Of all the KG coppers I've dug I have one incredible stunner. The rest not so much. Most will never have a beauty like that in their collection so consider yourself lucky. We don't see many George 1s posted. Great job bud. And I see you plucked that big fat silver that our boy missed lol

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will certainly try. I think Cohen is the engraver, not the recipient though

OK, when you said inscribed, I pictured it being incised after moulding. Cohen does ring a bell for some reason, let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beauty find with the KG1. I've only found a couple of them and neither were as nice nor had that strong date! I can't help but notice the Barber half either....a beauty with a New Orleans mint which is always a treat.

OP
OP
PA Sleuth

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Sleuth, Georgie told me all about this beautiful early copper. He wasn't kidding. Of all the KG coppers I've dug I have one incredible stunner. The rest not so much. Most will never have a beauty like that in their collection so consider yourself lucky. We don't see many George 1s posted. Great job bud. And I see you plucked that big fat silver that our boy missed lol

I think George was as shocked as I was considering he had been over this spot. But, in his defense, the medal in the same hole gave off a weird signal. You know, the one that says, there is either trash or a can under this dirt, possibly both, but silver probably not going to happen.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm blown away yet again! That KGI is incredible, and I'm a sucker for the BIG silver-especially Barber BIG silver.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The condition of your copper is amazing. I am very envious as the very few I've found were in very bad condition.

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coins and that medal is super cool as well!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
]

Believe it or not, Vino is extremely modest. He had several awesome finds too, which he said he wasn't going to post, but I am calling him out. Post your finds Vino. They are spectacular as well.

After leaving this site, Vino took me to a spot closer to home. I hunted for another hour or so alone, as Vino had to run home to cut the grass. I bet he wished he had stayed after I pulled these both out of the same hole:

View attachment 1223649
View attachment 1223650
View attachment 1223651
View attachment 1223652

An 1895 O Barber half! The second item is The King's Medal which is missing the loop, circa 1910, given to school children in London for perfect attendance in a school year. The back says: Awarded London County Council for Attendance Conduct and Industry During the Year. It is inscribed E. COHEN on the rim. Your turn Vino.[/QUOTE]

Nice finds! :icon_thumright:

But, let me get this straight Vino finds all these great spots and invites you guys to come and dig them all out? :icon_scratch:

That's some friend!!! Sounds like someone really knows what they are doing here.

I hope you guys all do a little reciprocating in the research & permissions and extend the invites to him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread