Oldschool Garrett Fortune Finder "Groundhog" tips?

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
Oldschool Garrett Fortune Finder "Groundhog" tips?

I have not used this detector in a long time and don't remember how to tune it , got used to these "turn on and go" machines and forgot how to work these old detectors . I remember this machine would detect quarters to 8 inches sometimes a little more but now its 4 inches or so and its a little unstable on trashy areas .. Its works on 14Khz , i am sure i am doing something wrong since i am rusty LOL!!
Any advise??

Thanks in advance..

CT........

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Oldschool Garrett Fortune Finder "Groundhog" tips?

Try this link:

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/manuals2/PB-Deepseeker-and-Groundhog.pdf

I think it will tell you most of what you want to know. I had on old Ground Hog and a Master Hunter ADS as well. They were front line machines for their day and will still hold their own if the operator takes the time to learn how to set up and use them. Fire it up and you will discover that Garrett wasn't kidding when he called them Deepseekers. Set the discrimination up to accept nickles. With some experience you may discover that you like using the old stuff. I know I do.

John

OP
OP
CRAZY-TEXICAN

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO

I did download the manual a few months ago but it seems like it is detecting only to around 4 inches and ground balance a bit iffy.. I rechecked and its a 15Khz and not a 14 .. Anyhow , its the VLF/TR model without a ID meter or toggle switch , just has a tune button , does have a GB , Disc, Sens. and metal/mineral knob.. no manual exists for this particular one ( at least not from Garrett)but i have not looked anywhere else .. ..

C-T.......

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never heard of a "Fortune Finder" . The model down from the Groundhog that lacks the meter but still uses the Groundhog 7.5" full scan Co-planar coil and runs at 15kHz is the Money Hunter VLF/TR.

Below that was the further cut down, three knob Fortune Hunter TR discriminator with its "Minicoil" (still 7.5" though !).

Hopefully you should be able to find the Money Hunter manual on line but really its just the same as the Master Hunter and Coin Hunter versions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread