Olivine or something else?

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot I grabbed a specimen of this while I was looking for the secondary copper minerals, it was still in the backpack, I originally thought olivine but know I'm not so sure, any opinions? 20190929_094948.jpg
20190929_100425.jpg
20190929_102435.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about something else. You said copper related, and olivine has no copper. It sure looks like olivine! Did some digging and found Volborthite, 3 atoms copper per molecule, plus vanadium, oxygen and water molecules, too. AKA vanadite. Forms encrusting masses, and is found in several locations in Arizona. vanadite.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look on mindat but it was a vein and mostly on the surface of the host, it was about 5 feet from where I was picking up the copper minerals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiny duftite crytals on matrix maybe, duftite is listed?
Vanadinite is listed but its crystals are red..

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found the same material your showing there Steve and never have figured it out. My best specimen of it, hidden somewhere in storage, is a plate that has a dark green crust of crystals with a some what radiating crystal pattern. The crystals are flat and tabular and the luster is glassy. It only ever exists as a kind of crust, never very thick in a vug, or like your specimen disseminated thru the host rock. Color ranges from the light green you have to an almost malachite dark green. Hardness is between 6 and 7 and like yours occurs along with copper minerals. I've always been of the opinion its some form of altered chryscola.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDancer I went to a rock and gem shop in Wickenburg to show the blue minerals, on ajoite they said they dont know, I'd have to have it tested which would cost $$ but it has been found in that location they said, it's mostly chrysocolla in brecciated quartz they said but they also said and actually almost accused me of claim jumping that the deep blue I'm pointing out is something called linarite, they said it looked like specimens they've gotten from the (newsboy)mine which is several miles from my spot, I literally got my phone out to Google earth to show the guy the exact spot and even invited the guy to come out with me and take a look, he was more cool after that, I gave him my number, they also offered me ten bucks for the specimen in picture 6 in the other post so they now have one of my specimens, I'm kind of hoping he does call, I could use the expertise out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they were jerking my chain lol, they never called and that's not linarite, I took it somewhere else and they said it's all chrysocolla, maybe a little malachite in some others, the other stuff I was hoping was gem silica I dont think it is, I think that's some kind of feldspar maybe not quartz/chalcedony, I honestly dont know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions