Omega Seamaster Automatic in the original case!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by a very small thrift store today and made the rounds, including the jewelry cases, before making my selections and headed to the front.

I don't know how I missed it on the first pass but as I waited in line to check out, I spied a 60s? Omega seamaster sitting in the original box!

The only reason I'm not posting pictures of it was the price. It was tagged at nearly 600.00 so I just gave it a once over before leaving.

I can go back to get photos but I wanted to ask members on here a few questions before I go back and attempt to strike a deal.

Did Omega ever make a watch that didn't have a well marked case back? This one was unmarked. No model/serial numbers, just smooth metal. That was a bit of a red flag to me. Second, the strap had no markings. It was a smaller link style with a lever style clasp that holds with pressure via a cam lock. That wasn't marked and seemed flimsy.

The dial was decent, no day/date and the hands showed a tiny bit of corrosion. I think it's been sitting for a while and they would be willing to take an offer much lower then the tagged price. 600.00 was outrageous for the condition, even if it was running.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Omega did make smooth back watch cases with absolutely no markings. The bracelet could be aftermarket, if it were an Omega bracelet it would have the Omega logo on the clasp. $600 seems steep though, you can find an original Omega Seamaster box for like $50 and pair it with a watch and claim it's original. If there was paperwork that was original with the watch that'd be cool. But, you really need to take a couple pictures of it ans post them to be sure. Could be a redial, overpolished case, etc.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it could just as easily be counterfeit. Need pics of the front and back at the very least. The counterfeits are good

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill see about getting some pictures today or tomorrow. I've got a number of things to do on the way home but ill try.

As for it being a fake, i'm positive its authentic. I've seen enough old watches to know what honest wear/age looks like. My concern was that it had things replaced and the overall value would be diminished. How much would a bracelet/case back run and resale value once its complete versus the retail price. I'd hate to have 4-500.00 invested to a watch that might sell for less then 600.00

How does the case back open? I didn't see lugs for a wrench so i would assume it pries off? If i get it open, ill take some pics of the movement and determine if its a ladies or mens by size.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Older Omegas usually are twist off. I e. It seen any you could pry off. And the value will be in the year, movement, and dial condition.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As luck would have it, I had a chance to get over to the store and take some photographs. The employees wouldn't allow me to take the back off (previous customers have broken watches doing so) but I was told they would take it to the jeweler they use and he would open the case.

If anybody has some more input , I'd love to hear it.

Attachments

• IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    501.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_7240.JPG
    IMG_7240.JPG
    733.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    496.4 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the box, inside and out. It appears to be missing the inner portion that would cradle the watch.

Attachments

• IMG_7237.JPG
    IMG_7237.JPG
    639.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7238.JPG
    IMG_7238.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 110

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pass on it for $600. I have the same box I bought for my Seamaster for $30. It is correct for a Seamaster but not expensive. The watch appears to be redialed although hard to tell with one picture, I say this becase the second marks don't appear to be evenly spaced and the Automatic font looks very sloppy, Look at the O in Automatic! They'll never get $600 IMO. Bracelet is aftermarket and not Omega. Case back is fine as well.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pass. $600 is high. There will be others.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed with Spart and JimD.

I would also pass.

300 cash offer at most.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO They are asking 3x what this watch is worth unless its solid gold Then they would be asking nearly all the money I would pass on this watch at half the price. I have one Ill sell you for 175.00 !! I paid $20 Agree above wrong band I don't think the dial is a redo its just a blur pic.
Cheers

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have two restored and serviced Zodiac Sea Wolf's from the 1960's for sale if anyone is interested. I have a black dial with date and a white dial with no date.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do apologize for the blurry pics. Most of what i take is on my ipad that produces crystal clear pictures. My iphone just didn't want to take nice picture yesterday.

With all of the problems this watch has, im not even going to bother making an offer. They have it "valued" at 1100.00 so they are asking a little less then half. If i offer 250.00, they would just be insulted, even though that seems to be close to the value of the watch.

Oh well. Thanks for the information. I'm just going to pass on this one.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like "just passing" is something I need to do more often and in this case, the right move. I get so caught up sometimes, especially when I am ahead on other items, that I wind up overpaying and eating away my profits. Smart move.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kindof neat it's made it's made it's way to a thrift store, but stinks they look on line at all the highest asking prices found on eBay. Maybe they'll discount it later on? Thing is someone with more money than brains, will probably buy it at that price.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kindof neat it's made it's made it's way to a thrift store, but stinks they look on line at all the highest asking prices found on eBay. Maybe they'll discount it later on? Thing is someone with more money than brains, will probably buy it at that price.

The first woman i spoke to seemed like i could probably make an offer but after speaking to the woman who runs the jewelry section, i have my doubts. In her mind, she's got an Omega and even if the bracelet is wrong, case back is damaged, hands are corroded and the dial needs work, it still an Omega and worth every penny shes asking because its half of what her jeweler valued it at.

Ill probably just stay home and bang my head against the wall until it starts to hurt. At least that way i can be comfy on my couch and still get the same result i would if i went to the thrift store and tried to haggle.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like "just passing" is something I need to do more often and in this case, the right move. I get so caught up sometimes, especially when I am ahead on other items, that I wind up overpaying and eating away my profits. Smart move.

Yeah, its not always as easy as it sounds. I'm currently working on buying a large lot of old vacuum tubes. It seemed like a great deal at first (lots of 2A3 tubes) but the more i look at realized values, and what dictates higher prices vs. lower prices, the margins just keep shrinking.

I will probably just pass on the whole lot

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I see it a lot at estate sales in the checkout line. I want to whisper in the customers ear "Do you realize you just paid more than you would have on ebay for a better example?" but I bite my tongue. There are suckers out there, without a doubt.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like a lot of this has to do with the thrill of finding something in person. I probably have bought some dumb things before in person whereas if I was surfing ebay I probably wouldn't have bought it even at a cheaper price, but then again I am just talking about buying items for a couple of dollars, nothing too big. Such as the stamp collection i bought at a thrift store, probably paid $15 more than i should've but at least the money is going to a good cause.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread