OMG! Oldest coin yet in my Miami Fl hunts + vintage Irish pendant

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one more time going over my dad's lot in the Brickell area of Miami one mile south of the river. incredibly, after going over it exhaustively the last time there, I pulled out another IH, 1887, my oldest coin so far. [ed: oops, I made a mistake. it's an 1897, hard to read date. Not my oldest!] Finding coins from the 1800's in Miami Fl is no small trick. Also found a gilt Irish (npo, belfast) pendant, made in England. I believe it to be ca. 1920's. Except for some iron adhesions that i'm sure can be removed, it's in great shape. There are a lot of iron pipes and buried sprinklers underground and steel nails, I've been learning to tease out good signals from that mess. I've been digging every signal the last couple of hunts with my new Eagle Spectrum. Being able to change frequency to avoid interference was a god-send.

belfastpendantnpo33.jpg

belfastpendantnpoback33.jpg

1887Indiancent50.jpg

indianheadreverse50.jpg

Found more cartridges, the .22 has the diamond Western headstamp, indicating made 1908 to 1926. also a 25-20 Western case. I think folks from nearby miami (1 mile north at that time) hunted this section a lot before it was subdivided in the 1920's. My dad's house built in 1925.

western2209-1926.jpg

25-20w.jpg

This little dimpled thing is a mystery. A misfired primer? The penny is for size.

dimplething33.jpg

dimplething50front.jpg

Just wanted to add a photo of the first IH i found at my dad's house a month or so before this one. ih's &  temple block33.JPG

ihstempleblock33.jpg

The 1890 was found first under a bush by the fountain in my dad's yard, 1/8/12, and the second by the planter near the wall 2/5/12. Just wanted to make this documentary record. I cleaned both coins, as they are of little value and can be seen better cleaned up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding your oldest coin yet.

The pendant is sweet.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Congrats on the oldie! There's prenty more to come.

JOSEY WHALES

Greenie
Jan 30, 2012
INDIANA
Detector(s) used
MARKSMAN, FISHER F-2 GARRETT PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds there !congratulations that pendant looks awsome! JOSEY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions