tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Good info there. I have "lifetime" collections from my local counties region, especially shell, all together but none of it is catalogued or marked. Everything else I have personally collected is from a relatively small area of Central to sorta North Coastal FL from Gulf to Mid-State. All same to me and none of it is catalogued or marked. Don't be like Tom. lol

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to mark each piece with a number and then catalog it on an index card with type, material, length and width, date found, and location. Now all I do is site trays. Don't have to mark anything except the tray.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't access the article on the dinosaur. But for what it may be worth, John Dickson, who's fanatical about preserving provenance and has sold hundreds of big collections, reminds people that the number of artifacts with site numbers/collection inventory numbers that nobody can place because the first thing the auctioneer or merchant does is throw away the collection notes passes all reckoning. The only worthwhile marking is, IMHO, the standard site registration number -- example: 36MO30 (Montour County, Penna.). This assumes, though, that you can get the state archaeological mafia to disclose it. In Pennsylvania, good luck with that. When I tried, they wanted detailed information on it so they could record it in their database in case they didn't already have it on file; then they played keep-away with the trinomial because it's a deep secret only disclosed to professionals.

Then again, that was 25 years ago. Maybe the toxic climate has improved since then ?

Again, FWIW, you've noticed mine have little stickum labels with vital data (when known), covered with sturdy transparent packing tape so they don't come loose. Easily removed. That way I don't have to worry about losing the notes -- a near certainty in the lives of the disorganized.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I usually just mark the initials of the state the point is from. Bad way to catalog. Now that I'm getting old a lot of my finds and my brothers are kinda murky in my mind ( What's left of it) so I would say do your best to keep good records.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread