On salt beaches, which can be swung the fastest w/ iron disc?

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For you salt water beach hunters with an Explorer II, SE Pro, or Safari ~ if only discriminating out iron, does one model have a noticeable advantage to be swung at a quicker speed than another?
Also, I'd really be interested in hearing about using the machine with a large coil and if it affects swing speed (affecting processor not the weight of the unit affecting the operator).

-David

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well DnD, I used my Etrac with 13" Ultimate coil on the beach (same weight and balance as ones mentioned in heading) and to be honest the balance was terrible. About the only way I could stand it after about an hour was to swing pretty fast and let the centrifugal force of my swing take the downward force off my arm. I was looking for fresh drops anyway since it was a sanded in kind of day. I'll have to say once I got a good rhythm going it wasn't so bad and the Etrac would sound off, alerting me to stop and go back to dig. I was running standard beach mode with manual sensitivity at 22-24 with surprisingly almost no falsing, even in ankle deep water. Hope that helps for what it's worth. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DnD

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for sharing your experience. I picked up an Explorer and would like to find a beach coil. I've seen a lot of guys using the 13" ultimate and WOT coils, but have seen some great priced Detech 18". I have a harness so weight isn't a concern, but would you like to share any pro's / con's?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of those 3 the SE pro by far. The larger the coil the more potential targets under the coil. More targets under the coil the more discrimination going on which equals the need for a slower swing speed.

Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions