On Silver Wings I fly! Oh Memorial Day! A Salute to all our fallen HEROES.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY ONE AND ALL First of all let me take a moment to pay homage to all of our past and present service men and women that stand, and in too many cases have fallen and died to preserve our heritage, rights and freedom. May God Bless and Protect them all, and welcome with open arms those that have died. At least in my mind and heart it was, is, and will NOT be in vain, nor will it be forgotten. Thank You One and ALL. Amen.

That said... I hope you all have had a wonderful Holiday Weekend. Perhaps you spent it with friends and family. Perhaps you made a pilgrimage to a cemetery or a memorial honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.. perhaps you just took it easy and maybe barbecued or cooked out on the grill. Whatever you did, I hope you had a great time. I did!
My wife and I stayed home this year, no road trips, no parties, just the two of us.. well.. three.. there *IS* the cat after all. <grin> Aside from some time detecting some local parks and tot lots Sunday, and a couple today, we didn't do much of anything. Oh sure. I'm flying my flag, but I do that every day of the year... though I must say that seeing Old Glory flying at nearly every house on the street for a change, certainly put a lump in my throat this morning. Rain or no rain.
I awoke this morning to the sound of thunder rolling across the neighborhood.. and the pattering of rain on the window. *sigh* so much for detecting this morning.. I rolled over and went back to sleep for another hour or so. Eventually I did get up though, and made breakfast for my baby and me. Bacon, eggs, biscuts, jam.. all the good stuff.. or "bad stuff" depending on how you look at it I guess.. <grin> After reading the local paper and cleaning up the dishes, we both got on line for a while. Some TV for a bit and low and behold the sun was coming out! We had a quick lunch then took off to that very same soccer complex park I tried to detect at yesterday.. *sigh* They were STILL playing soccer! Rain or not.. boy it was getting muddy out there! Oh well, turn around and go to plan B. That second local park with the ONE soccer field that I also tried to detect at yesterday.. Today, however, it was empty! Cool! I found a couple of dollars in coin.. including one 1953 Wheat Penny.
Time to start thinking about dinner.. had to make a pit stop at the grocery, but on the way there was a School yard that I'd been meaning to search. More Coin! I found my third NEW Lincoln Cabin Cent here.. I put it with the 1953 Wheat Cent..

5-25-09 004WComp.JPG

That was cool.. but so was the tool.. <grin> I found a screwdriver at that little park.. along with a toy car and some coke caps (my wife collects the coke rewards points.. means points for me when I bring her caps.. <grin>) and there was, of course, at both places, pull tabs. I found one lone button at the school yard.

5-25-09 014OtherStuff.jpg

Well.. all the coins collected, pull tabs, and button... and my stomach was starting to growl. I still had a barbecue to fire up and food to grill, not to mention a trip to the grocery for some fresh veggies for said meal. So my wife and I headed out of the wood chips and back to the car. On the hill side between the wood chips and the school building I got a big hit. I almost didn't bother since I've had experiences with this particular school yard before, they remodeled and put on a new roof and flashing in the past couple of years.. lots of trash and scrap along the side of the building. But, I did look. WOOOHOOO!!! A Butterfly! On a string! a SILVER BUTTERFLY on a STRING CHAIN. A SILVER STRING CHAIN!

5-25-09 008Butterfly1.jpg

At first I thought it was more gumball machine bling, but no.. right there on the chain clasp was stamped that wonderful number 925 !

5-25-09 002ChainStamp.jpg

... and on the chain loop for the butterfly..

5-25-09 011ButterflyRev.jpg

... and on the back of the Butterfly itself!

5-25-09 015ButterflyBack.jpg

COOL! Italian Silver ! I wonder what the stones are? CZ I'm sure.. but wow! Made my day that's for sure! My wife got a kick out of seeing me do the "Happy Dance" there in the school yard. <blushing> She laughed at me, for sure, but she couldn't fault me for my reason. I hardly remember going to the grocery store after that. I remember getting home and firing up the grill.. have to be VERY aware of what's going on when playing with fire after all. I tallied up my finds and sorted and cleaned everything. Took my pics of course, and was dying to put them on the computer and make this post.. but dinner came first. We had a wonderfully roasted pork tenderloin that I grilled for tonight. Steamed broccoli, baked potatoes and some very very garlic "roasted garlic cibatta bread". WOW! Excellent if I DO say so myself! <mouth is still watering thinking about it>
Well here is the meager amount of clad found today, but I'm happy with it.. paid for gas if nothing else, and I had a great time finding it.. along with the other treasures for the day.

5-25-09 001clad.jpg

Again.. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and holiday. Remember to remember! And as always..

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice finds and congrats on the silver!! The stones are probably cz, but still always fun finding a little silver!@! Being a vet myself, I take this day to give my respect to those who have fallen, those who have been injured and those who now protect us. We are safe because of the many who now protect and defend this great Country!!

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Good mix of finds as usual Frodov!

You have 3 of those cabin cents eh??? That is amazing... I have gotten ONE back in change and that is it! I did swap one out of one of those "take a penny leave a penny" cups at the local gas station though.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
beetle662 said:
Good mix of finds as usual Frodov!

You have 3 of those cabin cents eh??? That is amazing... I have gotten ONE back in change and that is it! I did swap one out of one of those "take a penny leave a penny" cups at the local gas station though.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Yeah, three of them now. None of which were in change. All of them were recovered from the woodchips of various tot lots. Hey, leave it to the kiddies to have the novelties.. and of course to loose them while they play. <shrug> I know that the Cabin Cents aren't any more valuable than the average clad penny, but I thought they were pretty cool this early after their release. Isn't there supposed to be ANOTHER new penny released next year or so? ? ? with a different reverse artwork? I think I read something about that at one point but can't recall where or when. <shrug> Oh well.
AS for the swapping coins out of the "take a penny leave a penny" cups.. I've scoped them out a time or two myself in the past. I've found wheat pennies, a silver quarter...once.. and even silver dimes on occasion. Yeah, usually there are only pennies in there, that's why the silver sort of stuck out and caught my eye. <smile> And, as long as you leave the like amount.. or more.. in the cup, the cashiers or clerks don't care what you take out... I'm always adding a penny or two at these kind of places anyway. That or in one of those jars that they are collecting money for the March Of Dimes or whatever.
Keep an eye out.. and you will SEE! <smile>

As always..

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov, congrats on all the finds and a great holiday weekend!! You post such great pictures, what photo host do you use, I can't seem to get my pics right, size and all.......Rich.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
richm said:
Frodov, congrats on all the finds and a great holiday weekend!! You post such great pictures, what photo host do you use, I can't seem to get my pics right, size and all.......Rich.

I just use plain old photo edit for Windows Office. You probably already have it on your machine if it's a PC. If you're using a MAC or something other than a Windows based OS I'm afraid I can't help you at all. As for the sizing.. well that's just been trial and error. <grin> Good luck!

Frodov

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frodov,

I have to admit, I do enjoy reading your stories. They are always depicted in such a utopian world. Thank you for showing us that life can be enjoyable :)

Kirk

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Frodov, Thanks for your respect and acknowledgment of our Fallen Hero's. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Kirk PA said:
Frodov,

I have to admit, I do enjoy reading your stories. They are always depicted in such a utopian world. Thank you for showing us that life can be enjoyable :)

Kirk

A "..utopian world." ??? <grin> Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but thank you for the praise all the same. I may relate the world as I see it in perhaps a bit more brightly than it often actually is, but then we all have troubles and strife and hardly need reminding of all that isn't so pleasant. This forum, this web site, and this very hobby is a means of escape for many, or even for most I should think. I know this hobby is an escape for me, a very enjoyable and even profitable escape from time to time. Here we share our adventures, our discoveries and our triumphs (be they however large or small)... I guess that does sort of sound "ideal".. perhaps even, dare I repeat.. "Utopian" in some ways. <Grin> Cool... Well I'll continue to do my part I suppose. I'll share my adventures in this hobby with all that care to follow along. And if I paint a rosey picture of life in the process, well, <shrug> I'm happy to entertain. Thanks my friend.

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
GrayCloud said:
Frodov, Thanks for your respect and acknowledgment of our Fallen Hero's. :icon_thumleft:

I have no choice really.. well I guess I do, I mean that is one of the freedoms that were and are fought for after all, but it was instilled in me before I could even understand the gravity of the issue as a child. Like so many others, I dare say most of the readers here.. at least the ones born or raised in the U.S. of A. anyway, I am part of a family that has members in every branch of the services. Past present, and future. I had family members, albeit uncles and cousins to join that number who have fallen. My own grandfather (Dad's Dad) was missing in action, presumed killed in the Pacific in WWII. My father never knew his own dad.. other than through stories from other relatives. Needless to say I never knew him either.. again.. other than by tales from family members. I've seen the memorials, I've touched the inscribed name in the cold stone... among so many many others. It boggles the mind if you dwell on the numbers too much. It's humbling to say the least. So the respect is there, and as I said.. I really didn't have a choice, even though it was given to me by so many who died for that right. I hope that others can respect the sacrifices made bot thos so many.

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread