d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a friend and I were working one of the swimming holes on the river, close to where we live. For years and years there was a swing hung in a large river birch that eventually fell into the river several years ago and now a swing is on the other bank. Year before last I found a class ring and returned it to a friend that had lost it the week we graduated high school in 1976. Since then I have found 2 more and was able to return one, a graduate of 1972 the other was from a graduate on 1923 and with no school designation on it other than a date it could not be returned. When I found the ring last week it had a school designation on it NEHS(New Edinburg High School) and the date 1925 along with the owners initials on the inside. After doing some detective work I came up with ZILCH due to the fact the school had burnt twice once in the 30's and once in the 40's. I showed the ring to my father in law and the next day he told his sister about it and the initials that were on the inside. After a few minutes Aunt Reba came up with a name and told him who it was. Aunt Reba is 85 and she remembered a girl that grew up in the community that was older than her. Guess what? She was correct. Fanny Jones Word was born 10/11/05 and graduated in 1925. She married but had no children and passed away in the mid 1980's. The house she was born in belongs to her nephew now and he and his sister were the only children she had. After double checking to make sure I gave the ring to her nephew yesterday. He was proud to get it. He called his sister to tell her about it and she remembered her aunt telling her about losing it while jumping off the swing down at the river. It had been there for 80 plus years and I was able to return it to the family. It was a good day...d2

Attachments

• The ring.JPG
    The ring.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Congratulations on doing some awesome detective work!!

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys, I thought from the begining I would be able to return it to a family member and I could. It was a great feeling...d2

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ring. Congrats. HH.....

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
80 yrs thats amazing. Wouldent you like to have relic dredge in that place

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread