Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the trail of a mid 1500's Spanish Expedition

Hi Everyone,

I am uploading some information regarding one of the Spanish expeditions through the US back in the 1500's.

Please post a response and let me know what you think. (See the pictures at the bottom of this post.)

Good luck in your hunting,

Patrick
-------------------------------------------
First, a short history lesson
-------------------------------------------
Hernando Desoto & Luis Moscoso - (From the Texas State Historical Association)
---
MOSCOSO EXPEDITION. Luis de Moscoso Alvarado was a member of Hernando De Soto's expedition to explore La Florida-today's southeastern United States-and to obtain gold and other riches from the native peoples of the North American continent. The army of an estimated 600 men sighted land on May 25, 1539, on the western coast of Florida near what is now Tampa Bay, and landed on May 30. Over the next four years the expedition traveled throughout the southeastern United States. On May 21, 1542, De Soto died from a fever at the Mississippi River in what is now Arkansas; command of the expedition was transferred to Moscoso. The remainder of the journey is commonly known as the Moscoso expedition. The primary goal of its surviving members was to find an overland route back to New Spain (now Mexico). Many attempts have been made to reconstruct the route of the expedition, nearly all of which bring it into Texas in the summer of 1542.

Scholars have attempted to trace the Moscoso expedition route through Texas mainly with information found in four primary accounts of the journey. A brief version of the army's exploits in La Florida is found in a narrative by the King's factor, Luys Hernández de Biedma, who accompanied Moscoso. This account was written eleven years after the expedition, while Biedma was living in Mexico. Another account is the True Relation of the Hardships Suffered by Governor Fernando de Soto and Certain Portuguese Gentlemen During the Discovery of the Province of Florida. Now Newly Set Forth by a Gentleman of Elvas. This work first appeared in 1557-just fourteen years after the expedition-and was produced anonymously by a Portuguese member of the expedition. A third written source is a romanticized account of the expedition by Garcilaso de la Vega, entitled A History of the Adelantado Hernando de Soto. Garcilaso was not a member of the expedition, and his account was written in the latter part of the sixteenth century and published in 1605. It was based on at least two written and one oral account by expedition members. A fourth account was published in 1851 in Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo's Historia general y natural de las Indias. This account was by De Soto's private secretary, Rodrigo Ranjel.

The most exhaustive early attempt to reconstruct the route of the Moscoso expedition, not only in Texas but through the entire southeastern United States, was published in 1939 by the United States De Soto Commission to celebrate the expedition's 400th anniversary. The commission's proposed version of the route through Texas posits that the expedition, led by Moscoso, entered Texas in what is now Shelby County and from there traveled south to a point near San Augustine. It then turned west and went as far as the Navasota River in east central Texas. At this point the soldiers decided that they would not be able to find enough food to feed the expedition if they continued farther west, and thus the Moscoso expedition retraced its route back to the Mississippi River in Arkansas.
-----------------
Additional Information:

Luis Moscoso was a particularly superstitious man. He was known to carry a 'serpent stone' for good luck. This stone was supposed to have been given to him by Spanish royalty although that is unconfirmed. Only a few references to the serpent stone is found in historical references.

There has been much controversy as to where this doomed expedition spent a winter. There has been some evidence showing that they were on the Rio de los Brazos de Dios. This is also known as the Brazos River. There is speculation as to this exact site. Some references place it as high as around Possum Kingdom lake and as far south as Austin.

This expedition camped on the Brazos for the winter. They almost starved and lost hope abandoning their expedition. Many died on this expedition and Luis Moscoso gave orders. Full of discouragement, Luis Moscoso abandoned his lucky serpent stone as cursed and left it at their camping location. A brass cannon was sealed with Moscoso's journal and a hand scribed bible. The cannon has a value of about $45k and the journal/bible are priceless.

One source shows Moscoso leading the remaining men from his expedition down the Brazos river and into Mexico ultimately returning to Spain humiliated.
------------------------------------------
Now, about the find.
------------------------------------------

Some of the area's old-timers had recalled swimming in the local swimming hole and jumping from a pipe into the water when they were children. The pipe was described as a short thick tube of yellowish metal sticking out of the bank and the end of the pipe was sealed shut with wood jammed into the opening. This is what I was looking for at the time. Not only would this be a valuable find, it would be a find with archeological significance. Of course, none of the old-timers could remember or would reveal the exact location of this swimming hole.

On a brisk fall day, I was exploring some caves along the Brazos river in Palo Pinto county. One particular location seemed like it had been excavated to facilitate a fair amount of people. The opening seemed to widen and the cave itself was nothing more than a large room about 20ft long X 10 ft wide. It also seemed to be a fond spot for copperhead snakes. Just my luck.

Upon entering the cave, a temperature difference was felt immediately. The cave room seemed unusually still as if it had been sealed from time itself. I began searching the cave for signs of habitation. There were no signs of petroglyphs, cave writings or other markings. The ceiling on one end of the cave seemed to be stained darker as if it had known the smoke of many fires.

There was a small ledge protruding on the inside wall of the cave. There was something on the ledge that caught my attention. Covered in a pale dust was a stone about the size of a small potato. The dust clung to my fingers as I retrieved this relic from its resting place.

The stone held the carvings of two snakes intertwined around with a head on both sides. This stone fit the description of remote references to Moscoso's lucky serpent stone.

If this was Moscoso's stone, the cannon isn't far away. This would also rewrite the history books and solve the riddle as to where the Moscoso expedition spent that dreadful winter that killed most of the members.

Here are some pictures of this stone. I make no claims other than finding it in a cave.

----------------------------
serpent1.jpg

serpent2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It figures, I only find rocks. (Unique and original, yet still rocks.)

Actually, I have found many things over the years. It always seems that the find is anticlimactic and the real fun comes in the hunt.

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm .. very interesting :icon_scratch: first lucky serpent stone for me , part of a Spanish expedition , ya just never know .. was it left on the ledge for a reason ??? you mention a cannon nearby where you recovered this relic , dragging a cannon around in uncharted territory seems like a lot of work and a bad idea :dontknow: anyhow .. what's next

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just did a great job describing every Spanish expedition. They were huge. Most contained hundreds of people, livestock, weaponry (including cannons), etc. that were dragged across the country bushwack-style.

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that thing looks like the real deal. You have really been raking in the Spanish stuff lately! No more legal problems like with the L.U.E. treasure you posted about a few days ago. I would kill to be in your shoes. Go for it, man!!

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting looking stone, no idea how to date it? Have you found any references aging this?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the positive comments. I have several finds and have been posting some of them more out of boredom than anything.

I was raised in a family and circle of friends that were treasure hunters. There is no real secret to finding artifacts, items or treasures. The first step is to identify a lead and research it. Then, GET OUT DOORS. Be a little analytical and always do the math (work out the logic of the lead.)

I will keep posting some things. Of course, the stuff I am posting is of the nature that I don't care if it is public or not. I still have leads working that I won't go public with yet.

Still, you can do it as well. I used to live in Florida. There is a book you can get that shows all of the locations around Tampa Bay that have had coins wash up. These are great spots for detecting. One is on the south end of Honeymoon island and North end of Caledesi island state park. Depending on which direction storms come in from. If the storm comes in from the SW, coins wash up on the south end of the north island. If the storm comes from the NW, coins wash up on the North end of the southern island. The coins are Spanish in origin. That should be fairly close to you.

It is not a matter of if you can find a relic, artifact, item or treasure. It is a matter of when. If you increase the frequency of hunts, the finds increase as well.

Again, thanks for the encouraging comments.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crusader,

I am sure there is a scientific way to carbon date the stone. It was just cool finding it. I have it secured in my collection of items.

Everything I can find on the subject points to about 1542 when the stone would have been placed in the cave. I have SEVERAL books on Spanish archeology in the US and it all appears legitimate.

Of course, (in my opinion), it is best to always post pictures of finds. It gives that opportunity for other thoughts on the item as well as possibly trying to play devil's advocate in disproving the line of thinking about the find.

I just enjoy the outdoor activity and the finds are always unique and usually directly proportionate to the amount of study and preparation.

Patrick

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff for sure, Patrick!
Unfortunately, Radiocarbon dating can only be performed on organic material, not stone. The only possible way (that I'm aware of) is if the stone is found in close association (buried) with organic material that can be dated. Not the case here.
Fascinating info though, keep on posting!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dogteam,

I will take your word for it. Personally speaking, I know zilch about carbon dating. Although, I did see a sword one time that was carbon dated. They took an etching from the metal (leaving a small rectangular scar on the sword) and did some kind of date test for it.

There was no other material around the stone that I could find. Perhaps in the area that was used for fires? One of my regrets on this find was not being more thorough with collection methods. I should never have touched the stone but had it dusted for finger prints. That would have been cool to see if any remaining prints existed.

I will take your advice and keep posting recovered items.

Thanks for the kind words.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam,

I have a copy of that book at the house and will get the title information for you. There is a lot of stuff in the clearwater area.

Keep up the good work!

Patrick

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I would really appreciate that.

Make sure you keep us posted on your adventures!

- Sam

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the coolest find! I think you are on to something very special. Great research!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi baylorhall,

Thanks for the kind words. I have found that doing research before field work narrows down where to look and how long it takes to find something.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sam,

Here is a scan of the book cover and the index. I highly recommend you find and purchase a copy to include in your reference materials.

florida.jpg florida1.jpg

I hope this helps in your research and treasure hunting.

Good luck,

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi tmanfromtexas,

You are right, that is coincidence. There is history where you live. Also, check out the florida treasure book cover I posted above for Sam. You might seek out a copy of this book as there are many treasure leads around Tampa Bay.

Good luck with your treasure hunting.

Patrick

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the book information, Patrick. Unfortunately it seems to be an uncommon book, but I will certainly find a copy. I found out the late author, L. Frank Hudson lived in St. Petersburg, which is very close to me.

Again, thank you for the tips.

- Sam

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sam,

Check your local library.

You are welcome for the tips. I just hope it helps. This hobby is somewhat of a dying art and we should foster a growing community.

Patrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread