On yahoos from page- dont bring detectors to beach

littledmac

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x aquanaut/Bounty Hunter Tracker ID 505
On yahoo's from page- don't bring detectors to beach

This was on Yahoos front page under News. What the hell does not bringing your detector to the beach have to do with being "green" anyways? If anything detectorists are "green" by cleaning up the trash! This article was so ridiculous, I had to share it..

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/142/five-things-not-to-bring-to-the-beach.html

Packing for a trip to the beach? Here's one thing you may not have thought about. What you leave out of your bag is just as important as what you toss in.

Below are some guidelines on what NOT to bring to the beach as well as some alternatives on what to bring instead:

Disposable plastic

Over 7 million pounds of debris was collected at last year's international coastal cleanup, which translated into around 10.3 million individual pieces of trash, according to the Ocean Conservancy. Plastic bags and food wrappers/containers were amongst the top three items collected. What's more, this garbage injures or kills thousands of marine mammals, sea turtles, and seabirds.

Instead, bring reusable bags, bottles, containers, dishes, and cutlery instead of disposables. Dispose of trash in lidded bins so that the wind won't blow plastic out to sea. Otherwise, take trash with you.

Glass bottles

Glass can break and cause injuries, particularly since glass isn't easily seen in the sand. Given that most people walk barefoot and babies crawl around in the sand, it's worth it to be cautious and leave glass at home.

Use a stainless-steel bottle or Thermos instead.

Pets

Pets are prohibited at many beaches or are only allowed during certain hours, so make sure to check the rules for a particular beach before bringing your pet. Or stick to visiting pet-friendly beaches.

If you do bring your pet, always clean up its waste and take it home or place in designated trash containers.

Diapers

Leave the regular diapers at home because they don't work in the water. Pack swim diapers instead. When you're done, dispose of them properly (in a can with a lid) or bring them home.

Around 11,000 diapers were collected in the 2008 international coastal cleanup.

Metal detectors

It's tempting to hunt for precious metals when you visit the beach, but metal detectors are prohibited at most beaches. Find out if you need a permit first or, even better, just leave it at home and don't risk annoying those around you.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: On yahoo's from page- don't bring detectors to beach

This is a perfect example of the mindset of today's "progressive society."

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh I would love to run into that reporter on the beach... I would seriously show her the dangerous garbage we pick up on the beaches, glass, rusted fish hooks, all other metals..and all the trash left by the wonderful sunbathers.. gee she shoulda said to leave your kids at home too, am suprised they dont annoy her too as well... Its big mouth reporters like this that I cant stand...all mouth and no knowledge of nothing.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

... just leave it at home and don't risk annoying those around you.

I would think that someone with an MD, with headphones, would be one of the LEAST annoying people that one might encounter on a beach.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saturna said:
... just leave it at home and don't risk annoying those around you.

I would think that someone with an MD, with headphones, would be one of the LEAST annoying people that one might encounter on a beach.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. When I'm hunting if the person is lying in a spot I haven't hit, I kindly ask them to get up and just move over for a minutes. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it's obvious to me the person
who wrote this dosn't have a clue
& Just personally has a problem with Detectorists.

metal detectors are prohibited at most beaches.

I Believe they are Permitted on Most Beaches

just leave it at home and don't risk annoying those around you.

pretty much says it all.

Most likely this person is easily annoyed
because she is very annoying

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Would you rather they said "Be SURE to bring a metal detector to the beach! There is VALUABLE GOLD JEWELRY to be found there!"?

:laughing7:

C'mon. Any detectorist that reads that article will get a laugh out of it. And anyone who is thinking about starting detecting may reconsider.

Which y'all ought to like. :wink:

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Annoying would be running your coil over some topless woman's bling and then trying to pull off the rings yelling "gimme mah treasure!!!!"

A metal detector at the beach? Perhaps a little nerdy/geeky (the price to pay to find free money and PMs!) but certainly not annoying IMO...

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

Well... this article just goes to show you that even stupid people can find work. I'm guessing Ms Lori Bongiorno (the author of the article) probably got her job because of her looks, and not from her research skills.

"...don't risk annoying those around you" ? REALLY? As if the teenagers blaring music, playing grab ass, and cursing aren't annoying? What about the 300lb guy with the built-in wool sweater wearing a speedo? Or, likewise, the 300lb woman who decides that today is the day to debut her new thong? these things aren't annoying?

How about all of the #@$%^$##$ed people who smoke and toss their cigarette butts into the sand like its their own personal ashtray? Or those @#$%#$^%#@ litter-bugs who make me dig pop-tops, bobby pins, gum wrappers and soda cans? I think these are far more annoying!

But the absolute, most annoying thing at the beach... EVER... is that wealthy, gaudy rich lady, wearing $50K in jewelery who refuses to go down to the water, get wiped out by a wave, and contribute to my finds!

steve

ZJBarney

Jun 22, 2010
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Cutlass 2 umax

Yahoo news is about as credible as a blind man giving an opinion of a painting ::). 'Nuff said.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

yanno...if I lived near a beach, I'd use this article to get some good press going myself. I'd invite the writer to join me and see for herself what
a responsible person does with a detector on a beach. Most likely, she twisted her ankle coz some idiot didn't fill up a hole and her foot found it.
See if she can't write an article about the positives. Of course, that'd mean
also turning in that bling at the local park station or police dept lost and found. But the good press might actually be worth it, especially if you
go back later and claim the bling :)

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

That is certainly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

I found the reporter Lori's email and sent her the following...

Lori,

I was disappointed to read your article about not bringing metal detectors to the beach. In fact, most beaches allow them and from a green perspective, people with detectors almost always collect the metal and other junk they find and throw it in trash cans. It's a very positive hobby. Regards, Phillip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread