Once in a lifetime find - take three!! :o!!!

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everybody!! Sorry in advance for the long post, I'm capturing this for posterity, LOL.

The Backstory

My wife and I bought our farm 3 years ago. Not long after we were discussing the giant oaks on the property, and wondering about their history - what they might have seen. So I began a long process of researching who walked these lands before me. I learned of the family who moved here in 1845, the Webb's, and wanted to write their story. The journey has taken me years (and isn't over!) introduced me to new friends and new people. I've met with Webb descendants from almost every line of the family. One of them even dubbed me an "honorary Webb". I've done more research on their genealogy than my own! I've emailed with descendants of both slave and slave and slave owner. I've held in my hands their writings, letters, journals, even the family bible. To hold these relics in my hands, knowing where they came from and who owned them, is really an amazing experience. Here's some of the fruits of this endeavor, though I have more as yet unpublished.

This search is the reason I MD the way I do. I had a MD for quite some time, but I really only used it for the occasional beach trip. The reason I took up land detecting and searching for history is because I wanted to find something connected to the land and the people who lived here before me, and the greater history of our nation.

Last Year's 1927 Reunion Medal

Last July I found exactly the sort of relic I had been looking for: Capt Sam Webb's medal from the 1927 reunion of the United Confederate Veterans. In 1927, the house was owned by Capt. Sam H. Webb, a confederate veteran from the 7th NC Reserves. According to my research he was very active in the local Confederate veterans organizations (so much so that it's mentioned in his obituary). My biggest goal in MD'ing the farm was to find something I could definitively attribute to the Webb family - needless to say, this is certainly my favorite find. I found the other half of the two-piece medal in Feb at the same location. You can see more about this medal here and here.

Today's find: 1924 Reunion Medal!!

I managed to get most of my "have-to"'s on the farm done fairly early, so I had some time to MD. I was debating where to go. I'd been to too many tot-lots lately, and the only good ones I haven't cleaned out recently were a bit of a drive. I tried to call Found to see if he wanted to door-knock, but didn't get up with him. I have a couple old spots up my sleeve, but it's been so dry lately, I wanted to wait until we got some rain. So where to go....

I decided to stick to my own played-out farm. I was out there for what seemed like forever, and was getting bupkis. I finally got one nifty thing (icebox latch?) and came in to post it to the ID section. Afterwards I hemmed and hawed about going back out. It's hot, I'm tired, yadda yadda. BUT I did NOT want to get SKUNKED today. So once more I hit the fields.

I decided to try the spot where I had found Sam Webb's 1927 United Confederate Veterans reunion medal last July, and the second half of the two piece medal in February. The area had produced in the past, and I had yet to try it with my new SEF coil.

I got a tiny little buckle by the "medal" tree, a good start. The SEF is awesome at finding the smaller and deeper targets than the stock. Then I got another one, 70-73, and a small pinpoint area. Probably another small shallow target. Dug shallow - nope, deeper. I started getting excited - maybe this time an old coin?

Down Down Down I chiseled away at the sunbaked North Carolina clay. Finally I see it emerge from the hole, an oddly shaped flat piece of brass, caked in the orange clay. I was thinking (hoping?) pin of some sort. UCV even crossed my mind, how funny would that be?

I ran to the spigot and started rinsing. A building appeared... and letters... "Memphis, Tenn." I ran off to show the wife - "Dollars to Donuts" I said "This is another UCV pin!" She rolled her eyes and went back to untacking her pony, LOL.

I ran inside, and a 2 second google search proved me right. The 1924 reunion of the United Confederate Veterans in Memphis, Tenn. Another two-piece medal, so you can guess where I'll be all day tomorrow! Wish me luck on finding the other half!!!

Oh, and here's a pic of what it *should* look like, LOL Sorry for the novel, but hopefully some of you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

• ucv1927a.jpg
    ucv1927a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 966
  • sam.JPG
    sam.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 978
  • UCV medals2.JPG
    UCV medals2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 981
  • 07-24-10e5.jpg
    07-24-10e5.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 976
  • ucv1927a.jpg
    ucv1927a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 973
  • sam.JPG
    sam.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 978
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes to prove TREES attract people like MAGNETS!!!!!Super finds brother,congrats!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks ya'll!

rottonr said:
That is beyond cool. How about a pic of the oaks.

Here ya go! For scale, my wife is 5'3 and standing at the base of the tree. :D

Attachments

• oak3 small.JPG
    oak3 small.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 882
  • oak3 small.JPG
    oak3 small.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 878

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That oak has some age to it :o. Glad to see your research and perservearance is paying off. I'd put that machine in all-metal and dig it all right there.

P

pastorals

Great finds!! But I'm puzzled...how did things, that were apparently of value to Sam Webb, end up being scattered around his property? Was the site where you found the medals the location of his home? Just curious.

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pastorals said:
Great finds!! But I'm puzzled...how did things, that were apparently of value to Sam Webb, end up being scattered around his property? Was the site where you found the medals the location of his home? Just curious.

I don't exactly know how they got there, kindof a mystery! But I have some ideas. Yes, they were found a good ways from the house, but essentially in the "front yard". If you walk straight out of the front door till you get to a cedar tree, that's where they were found. There's a modern fenceline separating that field from the house now, but I don't know about so many years ago. Also, if you kept walking straight for a quarter mile, you get to the church where Sam is buried. So I imagine he may have walked that way to church in his Sunday best, perhaps wearing those medals on his suit as in the picture shown. The two parts of the 1927 medal were found separated from one another, probably by 6 feet or so. The 1924 medal was found probably another 20 feet away. Perhaps they were scattered by later plowing or other farm machinery? I guess we'll never know! But I do feel quite lucky to have found them.

I got to look for the other half a little bit this morning, but no luck. I'll keep trying though, perhaps I'll have better luck after the predicted rains the next few days!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read! thanks for the story and awesome find!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a fascinating find. As a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans with 3 Confederate ancestors, I just wanted to thank you for saving this piece of history. Due to its significance and the very detailed research you've provided, I've nominated this for the banner. WAY TO GO!! :icon_thumleft:

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Very cool finds! It is also possible children got into them and lost them around that tree playing. We all know how kids love to get into things!

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone! And thanks Old Stonewall, don't think I've ever had a banner nomination before, cool! :D I picked up this case today, and thought ya'll might like to see it. Besides his picture and pictures of the two medals, his obituary is on the left.

Attachments

• display.JPG
    display.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 478

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread