LeighTzu

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2016
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
El cheapo until I can upgrade xD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright, I apologize for the lengthy text but if I were to just post a picture of this find I am certain most would say it is natural. However, when looked at in the context of where it was found it becomes much more plausible.

Not far south from Aztalan, WI (also in Jefferson County) is a town called Palmyra. As mentioned in my introduction my family has consistently lived in Palmyra since 1845 when the government gave the land away for free as long as you settled it. It is located on the Scuppernong river which is a tributary of the Rock river. One could follow this river and if you were to go south at the Rock river you would find Lake Koshkonong or if you went north you would follow the river where it connects with the Crawfish river (to which Aztalan was built). Both locations are rich locations of Antiquities and mounds. Where the Scuppernong meets the Rock in a town called FORT ATKINSON (see below) there lies the only remaining Intaglio earthwork in the world.

Located just outside of Palmyra is a place known as Bald Bluff. This place is very special and sacred to the Native Americans. So special in fact, that :

"On July 7, 1832, at the height of the Black Hawk War, General
Henry Atkinson and 3,500 cavalry and infantry troops camped on
the prairie just northwest of this bluff. Every military brigade under
Atkinson’s command came together at this encampment, among
whose members were the future presidents Abraham Lincoln and
Zachary Taylor."

Located near Bald bluff is (in my opinion) the reason of the areas significance.

Known as the "stone elephant" likely named for its gigantic size than its similarity to the elephant is a giant Zoomorphic boulder.
IMG_20160122_135927235.jpg
IMG_20160122_140014273.jpg

Unfortunately this area has been ravaged by artifact hunters due to stories of the vast artifacts left there as offerings. Well, I visited this place for the first time about a month ago and for the second time last week. While searching the highest surrounding area that overlooked this magnificent boulder I continued my addiction of "leaving no rock unturned". I found several stones that were neat enough to put in my backpack. A few days after I decided to once again examine those rocks. For some reason when I found it I failed to see the significance. I am just happy I put it in my bag.
So without further ado.....

SacredBirdstonepalmyra.jpg
A bird effigy stone with a very pronounced eye clearly carved with a sharp bone or copper implement.

Also, I must add my first find of the year. An Adena (Waubasa) projectile point. TOO SWEET!!!!
JarediteWisco.jpg

Thanks for reading!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.thanks for shareing.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something you may or may not want to consider is most if not all state forest prohibit disturbing or removing anything. Nice adena, the other looks like a geofact to me from the one picture.

OP
OP
LeighTzu

LeighTzu

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2016
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_20160122_135943266.jpg IMG_20160122_135954447.jpg
IMG_20160122_135949608.jpg IMG_20160122_135958584.jpg
IMG_20160624_162326516.jpg IMG_20160624_162358857.jpg

Something you may or may not want to consider is most if not all state forest prohibit disturbing or removing anything. Nice adena, the other looks like a geofact to me from the one picture.

I expected to hear a lot of GEOFACT responses hence the
Alright, I apologize for the lengthy text but if I were to just post a picture of this find I am certain most would say it is natural. However, when looked at in the context of where it was found it becomes much more plausible.

I must admit, if it wasn't for the fact of where it was found I would have not even looked twice let alone post it.
In regards to "removing anything" I am in contact with someone from the Kettle Moraine Southern Unit Museum. I am going to donate many of the pieces I have found since most were found very close to the Museum itself. It was this Museum that planted the seeds of excitement and passion for the subject & area to begin with. It is located basically across the street from my Families property established in 1845 and was a frequent stop when I would spend the night with my grandfather. (Thanks grampy! To him all rocks no matter what form are "leavarites" Leaver' right where you found it.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeighTzu

LeighTzu

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2016
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have noticed that around 60% say geofact, and the 40% who have been in this area & have seen the several hilltop enclosures admire its simple beauty. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all have found many geofacts that we once believed were legitimate. The fact of where it was found to me is highly symbolic. The spot being the highest bluff in which "the stone elephant" was still visible. I believe that it was quickly made as an offering of convenience in which the ancients asked for something in return. I wish I could get a more detailed, higher resolution shot of it so you could see the undercuts.

Check out this full grooved copper axe found in Baraboo within 5 miles of the last remaining man mound in the state. (Almost positive the other documented 3 are gone.)
Man_Mounds_of_WI.jpg

CAM00408.jpg

The boundaries of this (rectangular) hilltop enclosure is made of earth and stone. The majority is made of a linear mound extending at least 300 yards. Where the "corners" are, they do not stop at a right angle as we do, but some continue forward at random & various lengths. The south boundary (the most easily accessible) was made of Boulders. Most are to big to be moved by 1 man. I have much more pictures that I plan to post.
IMG_20160505_181230154.jpg

Last edited:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the other pictures and that is a very nice axe.

Sep 18, 2011
What we don't see is a ruler to see its size. The story is good, but in all reality it looks like a geofact. Mother nature does a lot of wonderful things to stone over the years. It has a slight appearance to a bird, but no doubt natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread