One 1968 Half :)

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
stopped by my local bank today and swapped a twenty dollar bill for twenty singles, about to walk out i figured id ask if they had any half pieces on hand by chance and the teller said only two.. i was unable to physically see them but told her that i would take them. i handed her a dollar and she dropped them both on the counter in front of me and i heard the silver ping. quickly i grabbed them and tossed them in my pocket n booked it to my car. upon sitting down i examined what i had just acquired and spotted a 68 Kennedy smiling back at me... Score!!

thought it was kinda odd they only had two though :dontknow: but anyhow, least one was a keeper :laughing7: tempted to go back tomorrow and asking a different teller because its kinda odd to find a lonesome 40% sitting there, there must be more :dontknow:

half.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Might I ask what the singles were for? :occasion14:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is any silver around related to that teller, she would have it, meaning other tellers could haver silver but it wouldn't be because of this one. you got lucky, this kind of thing happens. My first teller tray score was 2 halves - one 1965 and one 1964. I have also gotten three to four rolls that have had only on 40%.

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
lol, the singles were to pay for some Kennedys my neighbor got for me at her bank.. shes the manager & she text'd me that she had gotten a handful and was bringing them home.. being that i only had 2 20's on me at the time i thought id get a 20's worth of singles to cover whatever she was gonna bring back.
sadly they were all clads, the bank she runs is a small local bank that deals with alot of companys & she said McDonalds drop off bags almost always containing a few half's

i thought the same thing though, walked in to the bank and there were 4 cute young tellers and i was asking for alot of singles haha, kinda dawned on me what they had assumed i was asking for lol.

i honestly dont really want the %40 coins, but once i get a few i plan to talk to my lcs and see if they will give me one %90 in trade for a few %40's.

I had one bank tell me when i was making a cash withdrawl that they day before a older guy came in and wanted to exchange his morgan dollars for cash (this was a older lady that was telling me) she said she kept her mouth shut and took all 150+ of them and gave him face :'( she even told me she knows "theyre worth $20+ melt each"
(dont know if this is a made up story or not.. but sure is a sad one)

@silverforbrains
I wasnt sure if they kinda split up the half's across the counter to the other tellers. reason i had thought this was besause my neighbor said she hates it when people drop off a few halfs or $2 bills :icon_scratch: she said she trys to dump them on someone else quickly.
im not a major CRH, i just ask if when i remember for what they have on hand, sometimes you get lucky and other times you dont.
and my dad told me yesterday he thought 1965 was the cutoff for all silver and was unaware of 65-70... lol, hes in his mid to late 50's.

well off to my bank..(im gonna use them as a dump bank) gonna dump a $10 roll of clad halfs on them.. they were really irritated
:argue:
and snapped at me when i asked for a roll of halfs when i was simply just making a $60 cash deposit to my account.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread