Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For fast and easy, the EQX manual suggests; turn it on, choose a mode, noise cancel and go detecting. In my particular case however, I've found adding the auto ground balance step enhances the performance of my EQX in this particular area. I get deeper, clearer target hits in my test garden anyway when I add that one additional step: Turn it on, choose a mode, noise cancel, auto GB and then go detecting works best for me.

Admittedly, your area and ground conditions may be or will be different than mine here in central Florida but give it a try and see if you get similar enhanced results. I'd be interested in reading your opinion after including that additional step to "fast and easy".

Just the view from my foxhole...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The four step Quick Start guide in the manual (p. 12) actually includes a recommendation (side note) to GB if you are experiencing excessive ground noise that manifests as ferrous range falsing (bouncing -8, -7's) when you invoke the all metal pushbutton. Otherwise, Multi IQ is very forgiving to a less than optimal GB setting. Since Auto GB is relatively easy to accomplish, I routinely Auto GB at sites with any level of mineralization present. Otherwise I just use the default GB setting, especially at a white sand beaches (i.e., beach with non-existent black sand) where there is little for the Auto GB to grab on to, which could actually result in a worse GB setting because the auto circuit is just guessing without a solid mineralization or salt reference. In the surf, I use tracking which is recommended due to the constantly changing salinity levels.

HTH

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari, quick question, mymild soil here gb at 63-65 on auto like clockwork. But, one park that has a substation and loads of interference only auto gb to 8 no matter what I do. I manually run it up to the 60s and it seems fine but would I be better off to roll with the low gb or is it just the interference causing this?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using the same mode at both sites? Different modes will GB differently at the same site and different sites (or even different areas of the same site) can give significantly different GB numbers in the same mode. When in doubt just go with the setting the machine comes up with in the auto ground grab. Should be fine vs. trying to run it up to a higher number. You can always check to see if you are getting excessive falsing while in All Metal mode which is a giveaway that your GB setting is not optimized. EMI should not necessarily impact the GB ground grab.

Last edited:

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly running in p1 and f1, trying to decide which one I like better. I didn't check in am though, I'll try that next time I'm there. I will say that the eq is an easy machine to get to run quiet, which i enjoy. I've run chatterboxes for so long I forgot what it was like. Thanks for the info.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly running in p1 and f1, trying to decide which one I like better. I didn't check in am though, I'll try that next time I'm there. I will say that the eq is an easy machine to get to run quiet, which i enjoy. I've run chatterboxes for so long I forgot what it was like. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, so if you are running two or more different modes at a particular site, each mode needs to be ground balanced separately and you will likely get two different GB numbers. From a noise cancel and ground balançe perspective, treat each mode as a separate detector. Each mode you use during a particular hunt session needs to be separately noise cancelled and ground balanced (if necessary). Also, if you are having trouble locking in a GB setting by pumping due to high ground mineralization, the manual says you can sweep the coil instead. Be sure that the problem isn't actually a ferrous target under the coil, though (which could be masked by the disc setting, so use All Metal to verify). If so, move to a target-free section of ground and repeat the GB process.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
vferrari wrote..."Yeah, so if you are running two or more different modes at a particular site, each mode needs to be ground balanced separately and you will likely get two different GB numbers. From a noise cancel and ground balançe perspective, treat each mode as a separate detector. Each mode you use during a particular hunt session needs to be separately noise cancelled and ground balanced (if necessary). Also, if you are having trouble locking in a GB setting by pumping due to high ground mineralization, the manual says you can sweep the coil instead. Be sure that the problem isn't actually a ferrous target under the coil, though (which could be masked by the disc setting, so use All Metal to verify). If so, move to a target-free section of ground and repeat the GB process."

Great input sir!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions